Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That Pesky Fabric Drumming Wing Root.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default That Pesky Fabric Drumming Wing Root.

I had a friend's Colt in the shop last week that had lost his inboard inspection cover behind the fuel tank. As usual the plastic inspection grommet was broken and I thought it needed a more permanent fix without cutting fabric on a recent polyurethane cover job. I came up with this fix and thought I would see what others thought.

I started out by breaking a 90 degree bend in a piece of .032" 2024-T3 aluminum with the corners cut so it would fit under the ribs between the rib stitching on both sides. I slipped it in and marked the two inspection holes and then cut them out. I broke a lip around the circumference of the aluminum to keep from chafing a hole in the fabric and then installed it with two #4 screws via a #40 hole in the spar cap just like the ribs and braces are attached. Note in the picture of drilling the hole you will see a piece of stainless steel slipped in behind the spar cap to keep from nicking the spar web. Slipped the inspection covers on and installed screws through the whole assembly. Craig flew it and said it made a big difference in the drumming between the left and right wing. I guess I will have to do the other wing now.

100_3220.jpg 100_3221.jpg100_3225.jpg100_3226.jpg100_3228.jpg100_3233.jpg100_3235.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: That Pesky Fabric Drumming Wing Root.

Steve,
    Looks like a nice repair to me. I have been looking at doing the same thing to my Pacer rebuild project. I don't really want to cover the underside of the fuel tank bay with aluminium like I have seen before. Your method looks like what Piper could have done in a Service Letter. I LIKE IT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve could you re-post the pictures that you had in this post. They seem to have been lost over time.

We had our inboard inspection ring fly off again and I'm getting tired of it. We even switched to the recessed type inspection cover and while it lasted much longer, it still flew off. I've seen the posts about making changes to the wing prior to recover but I really don't want to remove fabric from the wings if at all possible. The inspection ring in the fabric seems to have also been torn and I'm not sure if/how it would be repaired.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Done, thanks for the reminder.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that fix Steve, great job.

Should run a patent that idea.

PeterL

Post Thanks / Like

I just did this fix over the weekend and it worked like a charm. Thanks Steve, that was annoying the blank out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the same issue on my Pacer; both wings. Just got some Steen Aero covers that use the recessed lexan ring and the 4-point gripper inside the wing. I've replaced and/or repaired the standard lexan rings numerous times now and even have them doubled on one hole--one on the outside and one on the inside. Before I put on these new ones, my question is do I have to put the fabric patch over the new rings once they're glued on, or is glue sufficient? I have considerable drumming under the wings/fuel tanks. I wonder if tightening up the fabric a bit with an iron might help, too. The drumming seems excessive. Using speed tape at the moment covering the leading edges of the covers to hold them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The fabric over the grommet just helps keep it glued down.

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing some wing fabric work and decided to cut out both inspection holes and make a larger square inspection hole. I fabriced in an alumimun square frame, then screwed a square cover to the frame. So far it is holding. Now I have extra room for inspections but more screws to remove.

I fabric over my inspections rings.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I have one inspection hole that I repaired using two rings, I put fabric on both sides. getting it on the inside is not pretty but it is working. I think the better solution is like Stephen did.
    "Progress is our most important problem"