Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That Pesky Fabric Drumming Wing Root.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: That Pesky Fabric Drumming Wing Root.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I was doing some wing fabric work and decided to cut out both inspection holes and make a larger square inspection hole. I fabriced in an alumimun square frame, then screwed a square cover to the frame. So far it is holding. Now I have extra room for inspections but more screws to remove.
    Stephen,
    Got any photos you can post?
    Thanks!
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

I also have two rectangles insp. holes with alum. covers on them. The rings gave way on our Pacer do to drumming. Did a temp. fix by installing a ring inside the wing. Did the rectangles at recover. They also better access to the cables. You can see them in my post of Pacer mods.
    Pretty easy to make. Made from .020 with a 90 bent on the forward end and screws to the front of the rear spar other edge goes under the trailing edge material. Cut out the access and attach cover plates with tinnermans, nut plates, or riv-nuts.
    Jim
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 06-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, guys, for the tips and tricks. Sounds as if I'm not even close to being alone with this drumming issue. Not close to a recover any time soon, so I'll stay with what I can do without all that. Has anyone else used anything other than Poly-tak to attach the fabric circle patches, or is there something more readily available for this smaller job?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcflyer84 View Post
    thanks, guys, for the tips and tricks. Sounds as if I'm not even close to being alone with this drumming issue. Not close to a recover any time soon, so I'll stay with what I can do without all that. Has anyone else used anything other than Poly-tak to attach the fabric circle patches, or is there something more readily available for this smaller job?
    Do a search here on Stewart systems, you will lots of comments. I for one do not use Poly fiber except for the top coat, I use Polytone. Although, Steve has me thinking about Randolph for the top coat.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same issue...lost plenty of inspection covers on left wing behind fuel tank. My solution was to put new recessed style cover on and on the inside of the cover, just slightly smaller than the ID of the inspection ring I have put a nice consistent ring of silicone. Let it dry, install( takes more effort). That was the last cover I lost. Added bonus the new cover no longer slides around leaving unsightly black marks outside of the inspection cover. A bead of silicone about 3/16" works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

You wouldn't happen to sell blanks of these for a Tri-pacer? I finally have to bite the bullet and fix this problem ... not only am I losing covers but fastening the covers with screws through the clips just results in the fabric getting beat up.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I've found a dab of RTV under the leading edge of the inspection cover stops all the wear and the loss of the covers in the slip stream area. I do the same for all those problem areas where you might loose a cover.

If the fabric is loose it might be time for your " experianced" fabric guy to get out the iron and toughten up the area. Look for broken rib stitching, etc...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Iriarte View Post
    Steve,

You wouldn't happen to sell blanks of these for a Tri-pacer? I finally have to bite the bullet and fix this problem ... not only am I losing covers but fastening the covers with screws through the clips just results in the fabric getting beat up.

Chris
    Chris, all you need is a sheet metal break and some snips. It would have to be custom fit to your grommet and rib locations.

Post Thanks / Like

when I lost a cover. the mechanic put in a new cover but drilled a small hole through the cover and the spring steel clip. Installed it pointing forward and installed 1 screw its never moved. I have very little drumming, that probably helps

Post Thanks / Like

I had a metalized TriPacer that I used for banner towing years ago. Even the metalized wings get beat up there. When I sold the airplane, all the rivets on the underside of the left wing inboard ribs were "smoking" and needed to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk