Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New VGs on experimental Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which Vortex Generators should I get?

I do not see a STC for the stolspeed. I would assume that to put them on my Tripacer a STC is required. The price makes them a no brainer for me. Looks like I will be adding something new to my plane this summer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post
    Jim, how far back from the leading edge do those go?
    Dan, right now I can't tell you exactly. The VGs from the old wings have been removed and are in a bag waiting to be replaced. I can give you an estimate based on the paint marks when I get home. If you can wait a little bit I will be ordering the "repaint kit" that should come with all the templates and I can tell you exactly.

Off the top of my head I can tell you that the ones on the landing light lens are an inch or two forward of the aft edge but that is only a guesstimate.

As for when I'll get home, I'm on reserve. Could be home Sunday, might not be home until Wednesday.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Microaero repaint kit came in today... I'm wondering....when can I install the VG's on bare fabric/tapes/fabric glue?
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Microaero repaint kit came in today... I'm wondering....when can I install the VG's on bare fabric/tapes/fabric glue?
    Mark M.
    An even bigger question -- put them on before paint or after? Would it not look better in the long run if they were unpainted?
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks better on the wings if mounted before the final coat of paint. The first set I rattle can painted then installed. Didn't color match the paint or would have painted after installation to hide the glue I didn't completely remove. I'd like to glue directly to the fabric on the stabilizers. Might stay on longer....I'll not see paved runways often.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I had issues with something in the Micro kit reacting with the Stewarts EkoFill primer when I put the VGs on the primer as they recommended. I elected to paint the rest of the VGs separate and will be putting them on the wings in the next few weeks once I have the tank covers finished.

Since SuperFlite is solvent based I don't know if you'll have a problem but it might be worth doing just one stab first to make sure.

Jim
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Should try it. I covered both stabilIzers.... For the right side. Going to call them good. One of them the tapes line up so well it's very difficult to tell. I'll experiment on the one the tapes off a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I put drain holes in both right flaps.
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    What did you space the rib stitches at on the elevator and rudder? The stabilizers are 4" apart. I'm thinking about the same spacing on the elevators. One for concentricity, two...I'm wondering how much the vortices will increase the vibration of the fabric on the bottom side of the elevators and or pull on the fabric when the elevator is deflected up . Then the rudder.....I like to give it full rudder during a slip right to left....4" spacing there too?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Vortex Generators should I get?

Mark, I used 4" on the rudder and elevators. They were done just like the stab, working from the hinge line. Far more than original, which is what mine had. I didn't see any issues on the elevators except the rotten stitching, the rudder stitching was the only good stitching I found on the airplane!

I didn't see a picture of the stitches but here is one of the marks, I used the 1/2 distance rule for the first stitch. Let me know if the picture isn't coming through at a high enough resolution.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423968961.363038.jpg

Jim
    Lifetime EAA member