Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Sullivan Wing Extension

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sullivan Wing Extension

Thought more about the idea of setting the trim to allow more elevater control on the takeoff to rotate at a lower speed, that was not a good idea, already have enough tail down force so that wont help, the ground is in the way is the problem, the wing wont develop enough lift at the AOA on the ground. Only way to get off the ground sooner is bigger front tires and smaller rear tire to increase the AOA on the ground. Now I see the reason for bush wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Thought more about the idea of setting the trim to allow more elevater control on the takeoff to rotate at a lower speed, that was not a good idea, already have enough tail down force so that wont help, the ground is in the way is the problem, the wing wont develop enough lift at the AOA on the ground. Only way to get off the ground sooner is bigger front tires and smaller rear tire to increase the AOA on the ground. Now I see the reason for bush wheels.
    Or longer gear legs. Of course that requires a lot more thought. This is one reason a TriPacer can get out shorter than a Pacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Sullivan

907-345-4630

rsullivan@ak.net

He does not check his email on a daily basis.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

That was a question I also had. Did you trim the Sullivan tips back on the trailing edge to a point approx 1/2 inch from the metal trailing edge and then feather out the fiberglass. How then was the Sullivan tip affixed to the metal trailing edge. Fiberglassed or?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    YEP, you got the right ideal. The sale guys will always try to say you need the big shocked spring and tall tailwheel to go with the big tires but never mention that it hurts you AOA on takeoff. Some missions call for a big tailwheel tire but if you don't need it stick with a small one and learn to wheel land you will be fine. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the plane, load, size of tail, ect, you may be able to use the trim to help know when to rotate without looking at the airspeed. On my cub 9 turns back from full nose down is the sweet spot. I set the trim and 1/2 flaps, I do not try to pick the tail up as I start my takeoff. It will come up to about 2 inches off the ground as I start to move. I just keep the plane straight with the rudder and my hand near but not on the stick. When the plane reaches a airspeed that it will fly at the tail will start to lift, when that happens I pull full flaps and return the stick to the location it was when the tail was 2 inches off the ground. This gives me the most consistent short takeoff. The reason for that is that I am letting the plane tell me when it is ready to fly. The usual method of picking up the tail then rotating works but now the pilot has to take any headwind into the equation. Not sure if the cub technique will work with a short wing but it would be worth a try. It took several weeks/100 takeoffs to figure it out so be patient if you try it, adjust so you just touch the tail on takeoff. DENNY