Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitot-Static system...?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pitot-Static system...?

Hi! It appears that my PA-22/20 is lacking in the parts department. I've already mentioned that it doesn't have a primer (which launched an emotional discussion) but after poking around I found that it doesn't have a static system either. Is that standard for a 1951 Pacer? (SN is 22-152) The pitot-static instruments just vent right behind the panel. No tubes, nothing (except for the pitot input). It's always seemed to work fine, and it passed an annual inspection and I had a pre-buy done by two different mechanics, all within a few weeks of purchase. My main concern is that I was looking into making my bird IFR capable by adding a IFR GPS of some kind, but the guys at the local shop said they won't do the IFR cert inspection with the static system (or lack thereof) setup the way it is. I know there are IFR pacers out there...

Post Thanks / Like

Same static system (or lack thereof) for our 1951 PA-22. Later models had an exterior static port, but not sure when that started. Others on here will know though. And I don't know what the IFR certification requirements are, so couldn't have helped you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine vents behind the panel as well. When I open the floor vent I can see my airspeed jump.

The pitot tube I have on the wing has two tubes. One with an opening in the end and the other has holes along the side with the end sealed. Kind of looks like an upside down "F". I guess when they rebuilt mine they didn't bother to run the vent line up into the wing to attach it. I need to run a line and attach it. I also don't know if my setup is original as I've heard others talk about having vents on the belly. I'm sure you will have others chime in who know.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe your airplane came stock with a static system open to the back of the instrument panel just like the Clipper. Since I have the parts manual sitting here I looked it up. Part number 11582-00 is the pitot tube for the "115" and "125" Pacer and Tri-Pacer 22-1 to 22-533. Part number 13764-00 is a pitot and static tube used on the "135" Pacer and Tri-Pacer 22-534 to 2377 and 22-2379 to 2377. Part number 14494-00 pitot tube is used on 22-2378 and up with dual static ports in the tail. The dual static ports in the tail seem to work the best from my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Static port installation

I'm putting my '59 22/20 back together and am about to re-install the static system. It had one port on each side of the fuselage aft of the baggage compartment. The fittings were wedged between the fabric and stringer & held in place with a mini Adel clamp screwed to the top of the wood stringer. Is this Piper's original method? Is there a better way? Seems like it might chafe thru the fabric eventually.

thanks,
    Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Todd; 11-15-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My pacer is IFR certified and has the two static ports on the bottom of the fuselage about 6" in front of the large inspection cover. Drawing number 14498 on the SWPC drawings CD has the layout of the static system.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

My Colt has the two ports on the bottom of the fuselage and only had the airspeed plumbed into them. This has caused "discussions" with the local avionics shop as they did not agree with me that it came from the factory that way. Regardless, at the last annual I plumbed the altimeter and VSI into that line and was pleased to find that my VSI needle no longer bounces up and down in descents of greater than 500 fpm!

Kurt
    63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Mine vents behind the panel as well. When I open the floor vent I can see my airspeed jump.
    Sounds like an easy way to increase performance

Post Thanks / Like

Todd; That is correct. There is a slight pressure downwards holding the static vent "plates" against the fabric. Contrary to just about everywhere else on the airplane, the belly fabric does not "flutter" as much. I've seen some airplanes with 30 years or more on cotton fabric and they never chafed out at this location. The little P-clamp screwed to the side of the stringer was exactly how Piper did it.

Kurt: oh yeah. my Friend. You airplane was too piped with the static line to ALL the relevant instruments from the factory, not just the airspeed. They used little tees for each instrument that has a static port. You have discovered the "long way 'round" exactly WHY they did that! Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ok, The light is starting to shine between my ears.

A number of years ago I asked an old-timer A&P about my static ports. He said, you do not have any-just on open tube behind the panel. I believed him.

So, earlier today I pulled out my parts book and found the figure with showing the upside down U and the tee fitting. Well it does take a bit of imagination but the parts listing describes each cartoon like drawing. Then I checked the Univair website by punching in the port fitting part number from figure 10 in my parts book. Nothing like that or the above photo in my belly.

I have a 1961 pa22-160 so I should have the loop in the back and I do not, there is only a blank hole in the tee at the back of my AH.

Now the 135 pacers use a twin pito/static off the wing. I think?

The original left wing to my plane is hanging off the wall without her clothes on so I just had to look up and, yep, one pito tube tubing at the aft spar bracket.

Soo....That light betwixt me ears shines on...THE EXTENDED BAGGAGE that took out my interconnect also removed my two static ports! Scabby Dogs!!!

I can hear my PMI in the back of my head, something like airworthiness is conforming with my TCDS....

Rocket