Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottom Cowl on a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stephen Pic's

do you have any pics of your change to the boot cowl and firewall?? Im just finnishing mine down here in Puyallup and would be interested to see how yours looks. Thanks ,, Terry.

Post Thanks / Like

Hay how do I get my Avitar back to a small pic, don't know how it got so big all of a sudden..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler H. View Post
    "PN 12508" on drawing 13932 for the PA-22 150 runs through the bottom of the cowling of the aircraft before heading back under the front seat to PN 11818. Does any body have any photos of how this arrangement works or a description?
    I'm confused exactly what you are asking... If you "dry-assemble" the yoke into the airframe, and have the elevator bellcrank (assuming "without" the push/pull rod attached) installed on it's pivot bolt through the mount fitting... the rod simply connects the two, the only way it can. If what you mean is "how does it exit the lower fuse cowling?", it sorta "doesn't". The push/pull rod "stays up above the lower fuselage fairings ( "slash" bottom boot cowl), but the odd part of it is that the forward end of the push/pull rod requires a little more "room to swing" than a flat cowl would allow, and the "next aft" aluminum panel isn't SUPPOSED to be "dead flat" either. So, there is a "horseshoe-shaped" cutout in the aft edge of the lower boot cowl to provide the necessary "swing clearance" for the rod end that JUST hangs out there. To "close up the hole", Piper used a sorta "modified teardrop cover" that over the years has taken on the nickname of "that codpiece-lookin' thingie" that hangs under every PA-20 and -22 built. The "next aft" short "belly panel" behind the boot cowl (that has the "triangular cutouts" on the sides that mate up to the taildragger main landing gear "openings"" has, along it's centerline, a tapering "passageway" stamped into it that "closes" the rest of the push/pull rod up inside the "line" of the closed up fuselage. The PA-22 standard Trike gear has the exact same panel, EXCEPT that it spans the full width of the forward fuselage ahead of the gear/strut fittings, longeron-to-longeron ("is rectangular in shape"). When doing the "conversion", that panel (containing the "tapered-out bump" for elev rod clearance) has (or had) to be trimmed to have the "triangular shaped sides" for clearing the taildragger gear basic top structure. (Boy, hope I didn't just confuse the hell out ya!). One peek at the belly of a closed-up Pacer, TriPacer or Colt oughta fill in all the blanks for you... this panel has a tapering "side-to-side" AND "front-to-back" channel in it for the push/pull rod to traverse. So...when "closed up", the elev rod never actually "passes through" the exterior line of the fuselage panels. Dig?

I'd gladly go out and snap a couple pics for you, but I'm not sure what part of this has you baffled? Hey, look, lemme say this in all friendliness...NO QUESTION is stupid, and every single one of us has "froze up" on something that when somebody looked at us weird and calmly stated the obvious, we slapped our forehead, HARD! Anyone says different is a liar. That would be what is known as a "brainfart" and only liars and people that don't ever think "never have them". Actually, maybe the PA-22 Parts Manual Figure 10 fully explains everything I just wrote, in the "inverted detail" of the belly...except the part about "cutting off the sides" of Item 20 for the conventional gear.

If not, Heheh..."help me help you!"
    Last edited by JohnW; 04-05-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow John...I think I followed and it made sense to me...

Tyler if you need the piece (the bump) I've got one. Didn't need mine anymore.

I'll get some pictures of my NEW plane to post....see if anymore can actually tell the difference. The locals...oh, forget those locals. I like it.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen; I've got some bad news for you...if you are starting to understand me that easily, then you've pretty much slid all the way down the slippery slope!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah John I get what you are saying. This would be so much easier if we standing next to the plane. You are right I want to know about how the yoke and forward part of the control rod interact with the bottom of the cowling.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tyler H.;31916]Yeah John I get what you are saying. This would be so much easier if we standing next to the plane. You are right I want to know about how the yoke and forward part of the control rod interact with the bottom of the cowling.[/QUOTE

There is an elogated opening (hole) in the bottom of the lower cowl that the yoke and where it is attached to the control rod protudes....about an inch. This is covered up by a cute little bump....looks like a catchers cup.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, is there somebody that can show me a picture of this and is it something that I need to build when I rebuild the cowling for my 22/20?

Post Thanks / Like

I found this in a box (a little bent up, kinda looks like a catchers cup that was hit by a fastball)

Is that the part photo you were looking for?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeB; 04-05-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added 2nd photo

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is what I was looking for, did that come with original PA-22 or was it part of the STC? The STC I have discusses a modification of the cowl and the drawing shows a pice to go into where the front landing gear was and I don't know if that's where the yoke comes through. I still haven't modified or test fit the cowl yet. Still need to find an engine mount first. Thanks guys for the help!