Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ney Nozzles

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ney Nozzles

Has anyone have any experience or has experienced any problems with the Chuck Ney Nozzle installed by STC in a O-320 Lycoming? Has anyone noticed a difference? I have the nozzles but don't have a preoiler? Looking for opinions good or bad? Seems to me they are robbing to much oil pressure? Has anyone had them installed recently? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have the nozzles, but only have ten hours on the engine so I don't really know if they are good or bad. I haven't noticed any issues with oil pressure as I am able to run in the 70's. What is you oil pressure doing?

The holes in the nozzles are quite small so I don't think they could deduct much from the system capacity, especially since the oil pump in O-320's is also used in O-540's.

Post Thanks / Like

We have only been able to get the oil pressure up to about 45. Cranked the PRV in all the way and no change. After the temperature starts climbing, it drops to about 38. Stopped engine at that point. Have eliminated everything but the nozzles. They were installed in 1995 so I'm not sure what is going on. Calling a case guy! I just hope they did not put the wrong nozzles in or something. Or actually I do hope then I would know. Maybe they are for a bigger engine or something. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting. Did you remove the PRV and check if something has prevented the ball from seating? It would also be good to check the spring and determine if it's the correct one. I think Lycoming made three different springs. Here is a reference to it: http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng26.htm
    Are you looking at oil pressure in the cockpit, or have you also tried measuring with an external gauge for comparison? Perhaps your oil press/temp gauge is defective? One other option could be a nozzle fell out. The only way to determine that would be to pull a jug and look around with a fiber scope, but I would think if that were the case you'd have a difficult time even getting 45psi. Perhaps a call to Chuck Ney may help: http://www.chuckneyent.com
    Do you have a remote oil filter system? If so, make sure the lines are not reversed.

Post Thanks / Like

We just split the case yesterday. Everything has been checked and double checked. Ney says it can't possibly be his nozzles and we have nothing left to check. We hooked another new gauge directly up to the engine and it read exactly as the one in a cockpit. New adjustable PRV had no effect. Has purple spring. Seat is fine. No remote oil filter just the old type screen. We were pretty sure we were looking at a bearing clearance issue until we split the case and everything checks out. I'm pretty sure we are going to take the nozzles out and plug the holes.

Post Thanks / Like

Very puzzling. What type of oil pump body do you have. Two types exist, one with a pipe plug in the end and one without. Perhaps that plug is missing if that type is installed? One last thought may be the pipe plugs on the back of the case that plug the oil galley on each side of the cam; are both of those present? I can't imagine it's the nozzles causing the issue. Did you check for any blockage in the accessory between the pump output and the PRV; for that matter, the intake to the oil pump? Sounds like you've checked everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! Checked it all. Had the SL78528 oil pump body with the hex plug and the extra oil galley drilled in it. Did not like that set up because I don't have a fuel pump so put on the 78531 Lycoming body that does not have the hex or the dilled galley. The gears are matched and the 1/8 hole was drilled to lub the impeller. Checked the entire system with air for obstructions etc. Nothing. All clear. Quite a bit of air came out of those nozzles though. This is very frustrating because we have checked everything! All the galley plugs, the pickup tube gasket the plug in the bottom of the accessory case. Everything! But we are still looking.

Post Thanks / Like

on phone with Chuck Ney
    Check the Acc case for lube hole on rotating shaft.
    Went over problems and attempted cures prior to tear down.
    Chuck says it is NOT the nozzles.

look very closely at the oil hole added for the rotating shaft of the oil pump.
    See Lycoming Service Instruction 1341

Chuck said he has found more than one of these that were drilled wrong.
    The problem found was the oil was(if I understand correctly) pumping down the drilled hole to the hollow shaft back to the low pressure side of the pump.

Expect Chuck to join SWPC and chime in soon.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 04-15-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well thank you Charles. My only problem is that we have checked everything and it came down to two things. Either the bearing clearances or the nozzles. I guess my problem with the nozzles is that I don't know much about them. I was thinking wrong size holes/squirts or something like that. I'm certainly not badmouthing the installation or anything like that. I'm sure tons of research and experience went into the STC. They were installed in 1995 and I was trying to see if someone might have had a problem with an older installation as opposed to a newer one. If it is not the nozzles then I am really down to a crack or something wrong with the yellow tagged crank or the yellow tagged case. Chuck Ney sold the mechanic the case and installed the nozzles. Aircraft Specialties did the crank. Both a reputable businesses so I'm at my wits end. The case was line bored by Ney also. We did look at the 1/8 hole that was drilled to lube the impeller shaft. We measured the angle and the depth and it is exactly as the book says. I'm most likely going to send the case out complete with crank and see what someone can find. I cannot afford to send the entire engine out and have it redone. Replacing new parts with new parts does not make any sense to me and my wallett. The cylinders have 0 time on them. The cam is brand new as is most of the internal parts. I have two experienced mechanics that are stumped also. I really wish I had found a bearing issue! I really appreciate you guys and your efforts on this. Many many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

checking email and Priv Messages
    Will be good if not Great if Chuck chimes in personally.
    let me know when your available for phone