Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Harness Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shoulder Harness Installation

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    That's where we were and we decided to pull the trigger on the fixed harness. The indecision delayed getting anything done for far too long and I think being a huge safety issue, delaying action is dangerous IMHO so that's why we just did it.

Having now installed the Wag Aero fixed harness, my concern is the ability to adjust the lap belt. With the shoulder straps it's important that the buckle is centered on your waist as that's where the shoulder straps connect. If it's not centered then the shoulder straps would pull/rub on your neck.

The buckle side of the lap belt is easily adjustable on the Wag Aero but the other side does not have the same type of quick adjustment. This would be an issue if you often have different size people getting in the front seats. This was mentioned earlier in this thread but I didn't pay attention to it. I think their was mention that the Hooker harness has a different arrangement with the lap belt but they are more expensive. It's at least worth investigating.
    Good point about adjusting the lap-belt. I forgot about this. It is a pain on the Wag Aero belts since you have to get to the end where it is attached to the airframe. Having an adjustment right at the buckle would be much nicer. I used to fly a Glasair for a while with the Hooker harness and remember how easy it was to adjust.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hooker makes a nice set up with the seat belt wrapped around the carry-thru tube. Both left and right lap belts are easily adjusted from the buckle side. We put these in my brother's Clipper and I am glad we did cause different people fly it and it is easy to adjust the belts for different pilots. Sandy brings up a very good point that I dealt with yesterday when Lee got in the airplane to head to Memphis. He left the belts lose and complained that the shoulder straps wouldn't tight. The belt was up at his chest. I adjusted his lap belts and all was good. I have heard of someone sliding under the belts in an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5 point (crotch strap), I think will increase the effectiveness of the shoulder harness in a short wing Piper in a crash. Here is what i see happening, first the torso moves forward, pulling the lap belt tight and up. If one looks at AC43.13-2B Chapter 9, Section 2, Geometry and Attachment and a Short Wing Frame, it becomes pretty clear there is no good way to come up with the 30 deg from horizontal attach point, that has any strength. Attached to the spar carry though above the pilots head with the seat all the way back the angle in more like 60 deg. I'm hoping the the crotch strap will keep the lap belt from riding up too high.

Post Thanks / Like

Homer, Been using the 5 point harness for many years on helicopters. The crotch strap allows you to adjust where the main belt rides. It then allows the shoulder harness to be more comfortable. It is particularly good for those of us that have a protruding abdomen (big belly) . I think the 5 point is by far the best choice.
    Stoney

Post Thanks / Like

I bought right and left Schroth cam-lock helicopter 4-point harnesses with dual inertial retractors for installation in my Tri-Pacer last week. I like the paired left-right lap and shoulder tabs and the way the cam stays attached to one side. Buckling into the system means just inserting a single two-point tab into the cam-lock in one motion. Simple as it gets, and the inertia reels on each shoulder strap work great and are a nice light and small size. Clayton's analysis of the value of the crotch strap makes sense, but these didn't come with one. The cams have a slot for one, so I spose I could add the crotch strap...Snagged them new in packages (2012 mfg. date code) off ebay for 260 bucks for the pair. There's a similar set on ebay now for $399 for the pair, but have y-shoulder harness with single inertial wheels. I didn't want the neck rubbing y-type. I'm intending to mount the wheels as high as possible to avoid head knocks.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-31-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: wrong name referenced

Post Thanks / Like

I found this video on YouTube concerning the Shoulder Harness Installation. I think this is the Wag Aero Set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABEi7dWtgkk

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Wag Aero shoulder harness set installed in the Pacer this week....haven't flown with them yet, it all looks to be good. The price on these seems to be fair but be advised the attach brackets for the lap belts aren't included in the setup from Wag. The stc says use existing brackets. Problem. The ends on my existing belts were sewn in type and look to be a lower profile. Downside to the only style I could find to use with slide through attach is that they stick up an inch higher where they mount in the middle of the seats ( dig into you backside getting in and out). Question? Earlier in this thread pics of belts mounted to tube in the floor behind seat. is that a stc. Or a service bulletin or someone's own fix?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are your center attachments mounted to the seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes at the hinge bolt for two seat halves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not very safe, the seat will fold up in the middle in case of an accident. What year model is your plane?