Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Break In

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine Break In

When I get my O-320-B3B engine in my Pa-22 it will be 0 hrs since OH.
    I'll be doing the in full runin on the plane. My question is, how did others do this in the Pa-22 or 20.
    Whats? the best way to do it, my plan is to use mineral oil fly at two thousand feet full rich.
    Any experienced sugestions would be appreciated.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend that you follow the instructions explicity, provided by the company that reworked or provided your cylinders. They are best qualified to answer your question.

Short of that follow Lycoming's instructions for engine break-in. Lycoming Flyer Key Reprints on page 36 explains their recommendations on break-in. They recommend full power climb and 75% power in cruise.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GBP7TvRWmZ3rF-
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 07-04-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Ken, only 2000'?? Keep a real close eye out for cumoulo-granitis.

Post Thanks / Like

I would minimize ground runs, less than 3-4 minutes max. You don't want to get it too hot without cooling air going by it or could glaze the cylinders. I have been told by an overhaul shop that runs theirs in a test cell that the bearings are about run in after the first 10 minutes or so. The cylinders take time and to break in properly, need high combustion pressure, ie high power settings which means lower altitudes. 75% is probably the minimum for the first few hours. Full Rich to help cool the cylinders.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    I guess what I'm looking for is if theirs any special considerations with our aircraft.
    Ken
    Last edited by Throttle Pusher; 01-11-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep the climbs shllow and the rpm up. Can't think of anything special for short wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like

my AI ownes an Aircraft engine Overhaul Shop here in the Midewest (does engines from A65 Cont to RR/Pachard Merlins V1670) I spend as much time there as my job alows like working on Engines and machinery The Biggest issues he sees when Breaking in an engines are GROUND Runs
    they Glaze the Cylinders over and then it NEVER breaks in. When we did my engine we test ran it in the Test Cell Stuck it on the plane did a VERY short Ground run to make sure nothing was loose made a short taxi
    then went out and went to full throttle and started a climb (had to call departure to get clearence) bye the time we got to 8000 ft the engine was pretty well broke in and you could see the oil Temp Drop and could feel the engine get smoother that was over 800 hours ago and NOT a problem since
    ON oil well i have seen all kinds of stuff at his shop and i know that every one has there own opinion
    if you fly a LOT like every week just about any good aircraft oil is ok but if you dont get to fly as much as you want use straight weights
    i have seen engines that were overhaulled 2 years ago and only had 50 hours on them and the inside of the engine was full of Rust and the Cam was SHOT and i have seen others that went Past TBO and the inside of that engine had very little wear and had No Rust at all and had been over 10 years since last overhaul

MY 2 Cents worth
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had any experience with engine pre-oilers in regard to long-term effectiveness? I came across this one that seems quite impressive www.oilamatic.com?

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

HI, what kind of cylinders do you have? Steel or Chrome. Steel usually no problem, chrome can be a different story. ON a recent chrome break in I wasn't having much luck until till I bolted on a coarser prop to put more load on the engine and raise the cylinder pressure. Luckly the cylinders hadn't glazed and running it at 24 sq a few hours cut the blow by and oil burn way down.
    Doug
    PS if the engine hasn't been started at all make sure you "run in" the cylinders. CAn't find link at moment but google something like ECI Cylinder run in and you'll find it.