Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Empty Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Empty Weight

What kind of empty weights are normal on a Tri Pacer with alternator, 3 strobes, Mode C transponder, KX170B, intercom, Poly Fiber system, and painted structure? We were about 100 pounds more than the original "advertised" weight, at 1218.

Post Thanks / Like

We've got 1157lb

Post Thanks / Like

1956 PA22/20 with full panel, fancy interior,800x6 with wheelpants. 1224 lb
    1952 PA20-135 no gyros, fabric interior, alternator, otherwise stock 1056 lb
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

My Tri is just about exactly as you listed and last year weighed in at 1170 lbs. There is some variation depending on the scales used also. I used electronic race car scales, not sure how accurate. They were easy to get on to compared to "grain" scales I've used in the past. Last time the plane was actually weighed was in Lock Haven in spite of twice being recovered first with Razorback, then Ceconite and now poly fiber.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

We used a set of digital scales with a central unit for the reading, which can select whichever wheels you want or all at the same time, borrowed from someone and certified this Monday so I am sure they are accurate. All we did to get them under the wheels was use a floor jack under the main axles one at a time and pull the tail down for the nose wheel. There was about one gallon of paint applied to the fuselage tubing between the epoxy and the Aerothane but of course most of that didn't make it on the frame. There is about a quart of epoxy on the wing structures. I thought Poly Fiber was supposed to save weight but I guess we have too much paint on everything else.

Also, I would imagine (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "advertised" empty weight was with the most basic model available from Piper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't ever seen a Piper weigh as little as when they left the factory. There is either more gravity now or Pipers scales were off in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got you all beat. I'm sitting at 1278. I have a full panel with wheel pants. The extra weight is because it has been metalized. What puzzles me is my logbook says it only added (if I remember correctly) about 20 pounds. That would still put me about 1258. I don't know why I'm so heavy. If you figure it out Zac, let me know. I would love to shed some weight. Maybe I should weigh it myself to see where I'm really at.

Post Thanks / Like

After three years of "restoration" and having the best intentions of weight reduction for the Pacer, we came out 40 lbs heavier (was 1260 now 1290)!! The addition of the 180 hp & C/S prop, 8:50 X6 tires probably added to the problem. I also have a over size panel & Stodard aux tanks in the wings. I think it is easier to put the pilot on a weight loss program!!! (and probably cheeper)

Enjoy the day,

john
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

For weight reduction, think about; changing to alternators, light weight starters and the Hawlker Battery. If you are really serious, reconsider what you need in your panel.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just going through the process of creating a Flight Manual w/ weight and balance on my PA22/20-150. (Lost at purchase) New weight is at 1172 lbs. Equipment: Collins Com and Nav, Narco XPDR, Flybuddy Loran, aux tank, alternator, heavy starter, 8.00 x 6 tires, no wheel pants, Scott 3200 TW.

Being that it is lighter than some other typical planes I suspect I may have a cold winter....

At this weight I will be typically around 1900 lb. fully loaded with my family and 44 gal gas. Should be fine until my kids gain 100 lbs between the 2 of them.