Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Empty Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Loran?
    Did'nt they use that when they come over on the Mayflower.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thing about it. I can leave the screw loose and have a right handy chock block.

Post Thanks / Like

That's it!!! I'm going on a diet! My son just flew my plane from our home airport at TSP to pick up two of his ROTC buddies and bring them back to TSP. He left TSP with full fuel, flew an hour to SBD, picked up his buddies with luggage and returned home. And he still could have taken more luggage! The catch... my son is 6'1 150 pounds and his buddies are 140 and 120! If I want to put a third person in my plane I have to start thinking about leaving out some fuel! And you can forget about luggage! Ahhh, to be thin again!

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked up my last 3 short wing weight and balance forms...I will list them in order and try to list any mods.

PA-22/20, 0-360 A1P with constant speed prop, 24 gallon tanks, Airtex interior, Skylight, Plane booster tips, Stewarts on fuselage and controls, Poly on wings...1259 lbs

PA-22-150, Stewart wing tips, Poly cover, Skylight, otherwise stock...1113 lbs

PA-22-160, Stock, Poly on fuselage and controls, wings re-painted...1175 lbs

Brian
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 06-16-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian what year difference is there between the 22-150 and the 22-160.

Post Thanks / Like

The 150 is a 1956
    The 160 is a 1959

The 180 CS is a 1956

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thats quite a deference in wieght and the lower wieght plane with 150 hp has more mods that would increase the wieght. Do the later model PA=22's really wieght that much more than the earlyer models?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, there are several differences between the two now that I think of them. The 150 horse airplane has an updated panel with new radios and light weight starter and alternator. The 160 has a light weight alternator but stock starter and the old radios. It also has a panel extension on the bottom along with 4 strobe lights. The 150 Pacer was also built by a weight conscience owner so it does not surprise me that it came in a little lighter.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

There is another thread started about Vag weights. If a Pacer/Tripacer was rebuilt with minimum weight in mind, what could the expected weight be?
    I'm talking lightweight covering,
    Utility finish
    Lightweight starter/alternator
    Just one lightweight radio
    Minimum basic instruments (Like first Pacers, no gyro's)
    160hp engine
    Vitually no electrics, no lights, no landing lights
    Single sided controls
    No back seat fitted
    Standard tips, no drooped or added bits
    The original weights are pretty basic anyway but with the likes of the above list done, what could you expect the weight to be? Maybe 900lbs/408 kilo's? That would leave 1100lbs or a wisker under 500 kilo's usable load.
    With a standard late model Pacer/Tri with that empty weight and 160hp you would have one fine performing aircraft. Would it be optimistic to say that such an Aircraft would out perform one that's heavier with all the "Bells and whistles"?
    Stephen, wassit yours weigh's?
    Last edited by Student Pilot; 07-07-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Brainfart

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Curly
    Your not liveing up to your signature. your last post was pretty smart and interesting.
    I think you make a good point.I'm thinking about making a light wieght split back seat and do the same for the front.
    I think you could take alot of wieght off of these airplanes if you really put your mind to it. The real pain is doing the leg
    work to get all the field aprovals.

Ken