Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Empty Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Empty Weight

1955 PA-22-150 Trimmer tailwheel, Trimmer seaplane doors (both sides), Steve's skylight, lightweight battery, and 31" business. 1175 lbs. 9.5" EWCG.

Running the pump on a controlled burn, ain't much to do except watch the guages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you can live with your on paper empty weight. For god's sake, Don' weigh your plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    Just weighed PA-16-44 N5240H.
    2 pack paint (sprayed over an old paint job)
    No rear seat installed.
    Partial Kydex interior.
    Basic panel - venturi VSI, T&B removed. Dynon D1, Trig radio and Narco xpdr. No nav gear.
    8.00x6 tyres on ABI wheels and brakes with spats.
    ABI 3200 tail wheel.
    Standard O-235 with interav alternator.
    Standard tanks.
    Sven lightweight battery and master / starter solenoids.
    30 inch skylight.
    No fuel but with oil.

995.5lbs at 14.78" aft.

I weighed my Clipper today, 1022 lbs, was not doing w&b so I left it in 3 point attitude and came in at L 458, R 437 and T 127. O-235 with center tank removed and two 18 gal wing tanks. Right tank empty left had 3 gallons and backseat had about 10 lbs stuff on it. If I take my stuff out of the backseat and drain the left tank I am in 995ish range also. Building a ND O-320 and putting a new 74DM6 prop on it, and a Niagara rear mount oil cooler, hoping to come in under 1050 after the engine change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What starter and charging system are you using now. The prop is heavier and the addition of the oil cooler and lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I weighed my Clipper today, 1022 lbs, was not doing w&b so I left it in 3 point attitude and came in at L 458, R 437 and T 127. O-235 with center tank removed and two 18 gal wing tanks. Right tank empty left had 3 gallons and backseat had about 10 lbs stuff on it. If I take my stuff out of the backseat and drain the left tank I am in 995ish range also. Building a ND O-320 and putting a new 74DM6 prop on it, and a Niagara rear mount oil cooler, hoping to come in under 1050 after the engine change.
    That’s doable. I was below 1050 until I had Oregon Aero build new front seats. I’am now at 1055 lbs. including 7 quarts of oil. But those sears are oh so comfortable on long flights. I also have rear oil cooler, Sutton exhaust, light weight starter, J16 battery, alternator, no vacuum system and Bodel wheels and brakes. The weight killer is the 74DM prop the O-320 needs.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-22-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    1955 PA-22-150 Trimmer tailwheel, Trimmer seaplane doors (both sides), Steve's skylight, lightweight battery, and 31" business. 1175 lbs. 9.5" EWCG.

Running the pump on a controlled burn, ain't much to do except watch the guages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Nice Panel! I spent 30 years staring at panels like that! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    That’s doable. I was below 1050 until I had Oregon Aero build new front seats. I’am now at 1055 lbs. including 7 quarts of oil. But those sears are oh so comfortable on long flights. I also have rear oil cooler, Sutton exhaust, light weight starter, J16 battery, alternator, no vacuum system and Bodel wheels and brakes. The weight killer is the 74DM prop the O-320 needs.
    Thanks, good to know! I will keep it as light as I can and hopefully make my weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What starter and charging system are you using now. The prop is heavier and the addition of the oil cooler and lines.
    I have a lightweight starter but still have the original charging system, will be putting an alternator in thinking about Plane Power

Post Thanks / Like

According to the build sheet from Piper N4358A weighed 1130 pounds when it left Lock Haven in 1956 and in 2016 when I put it back together it weighed 1137 pounds. So how did it come out close to the weight from the factory? Naturally it is equipped with a transponder and an ELT that it did not have when new, but it has an alternator, light weight starter, the Hawker battery, and the B&C oil filter adaptor and oil filter.

If you want to know what your plane really weighed when it left the factory, Clyde Smith Jr. has the build sheets and for $20 you can get a copy from him.