Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leading Edge Exhaust

Does anyone have any experience with the leading edge exhaust systen (LEES) for the O320 pacers? I have just received my LEES but am a little confused with the different engine mount configurations for the pacers. Apparently there is more than one engine mount floating around on the pacers and the LEES will not fit if installed on a Pacer that came with the O290. My Pacer is a 54 model with an O320 upgrade and I also have a 55 model project that came originally with a O320. Both my motor mounts measure the same. KW aviation who sells the STC could not tell me for sure what mount I had. Can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the mounts are the same from the 108 hp Clipper, 125, 135, 150, 160 hp Pacer and Tri-Pacers including the 150 hp Pawnee. I have the drawing that verifies it. I know of another Pacer that installed the Leading Edge exhaust and it had to be heavily modified to fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve & All,
    I have had the LEES exhaust on my Pacer for 6 or 7 years, with versions for the O-320 & O-360 (O-360 using Univair Dyna-Focal Mount) and while the exhaust fit, the original Heat Muff did not. My orginal set was ordered with the heat muff "bare", i.e. no inlets / outlets attached. They sent it that way, and we welded them up to fit the Pacer. The orgional LEES Heat Muff was designed for the super Cub, I beleive. We do have severial sets flying in the Ogden area. Photos can be provided.
    Enjoy the day,

john

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, All,
    KW Aviation says there is a different mount. I called and ask about it today and they seem confused. Maybe they had a damaged mount. KW also said the drawing only shows one mount but they had an instilation where they couldnt get the exhaust to fit. Well I'll give it a try and let everone know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.
    S/F
    Tal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Someone probably had a bent mount. I have several bent ones and have measured out many as well. There is the dynafocal mount that Univair sells as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to detract from this but I recently saw a grummen tiger exhaust on a pacer it was a nice install with the muffler under the front of the engine anyone have info on that exhaust?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Search Sutton Exhaust. Good system and reasonable cost as well.

Post Thanks / Like

DSC03128.jpgDSC03122.jpgDSC03127.jpgDSC03125.jpgDSC03123.jpgDSC03126.jpgI know I just talked to you forgot to tell you I have photos.
    Hope these help.
    Ken
    DSC03124.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That looks very nice. How much do you think it helps on power?

Post Thanks / Like

By the dyno its 13 hp, As for mine dont know.
    I put them on when I up graded to the 320-B.
    But I can tell you I really like the LEE.
    Here at Arlington,several people have put them on thier aircraft and have reported 200 to 250 rpm increase.
    Not to shabby.

They do have a good sound to them.