Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Lift Struts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Lift Struts

I know its not for a shortwing, but I have a friend near Washington DC (virginia side) who is building an experimental Wittman buttercup and is in need of wing struts, and a set of shortwing struts would fit the bill.

Anyone near there that has upgraded to sealed struts and have a set of struts for sale?

Thanks Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I am not close - Colorado Springs, but I have a set that have been stored in shipping tubes since I upgraded years ago.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently upgraded to the sealed struts on my Pacer and the regular struts are now excess. Let me know if they
    still need them. They look good with last years fork fittings. JimPrice Abilene KS

Post Thanks / Like

I will pass on the info to my friend Larry Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to respond to the "strutless boy" but my lack of computerese has this in a hold. Sorry but cannot get the message
    past this stage. Jim P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for Lift Struts

Hi John. I too am in need of a LHS front strut for a Vagabond. I understand yours are "unsealed" but is the profile the same as the sealed ones? Or, Could the old ones be professionally converted to sealed?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim, I surely sympathize with you on the computerese department. They can be extremely frustrating things at times. I'm still wrestling with this site!.
    I thing the best thing would be to give you my email address and I look forward to hearing from you if you have a set of Vagabond, PA 15 or 17 or J3 wing struts on offer. Kind regards Peter .
    airscape@tpg.com.au

Post Thanks / Like

Not real close to DC, but I have my old set and would love to have them go to a good home. Price VERY reasonable (free).

History: Rather than go through the testing AD, I replaced them a few years back. I have a total of 6 struts, as two were damaged in shipping (one worse than the other) and Airframes AK sent me two replacements. The last time my old ones were tested they passed. Three of the replaced struts are OEM style, one looks to have been replaced with a sealed strut but the installer then drilled holes in it for the front door holding clip... sheesh...

Original struts still have original forks on them, and they've been in my garage (dry) since removal. No extra charge for the cobwebs & dust. I'm about 7 hrs north of DC, not far from I-89/I-91 interchange.

DSC08140.jpgDSC08141.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

And if you wanted to "upgrade" the old struts, I have some barrels for the heavier 5/8-18 forks. Obviously for experimental types only...……...

StrutBarrel-010918.jpg
    Last edited by Southern Aero; 12-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Walt,
    I think you've just become my best friend! This may take some time so you'd best take a seat. I am an instructor (29years) of sport aviation in Australia. www.airescape.com.au
    I've recently been teaching a young guy to land his newly acquired PA15 Vagabond. Lovely aircraft and very skilled young guy so it wasn't too difficult. After I was satisfied that he had achieved the required level of competency we filled in all of the required paperwork and submitted same etc etc. Then, when we came to put the aircraft in the hangar, (which is extremely full) we began maneuvering it into the little remaining space left. Unfortunately I pushed up too hard on the RHS front lift strut and bent it. Some say it's irreparable and some say it's not. I'm of the opinion that it's not as it has a hint of a crease which I doubt can be ignored. Therefore we get a replacement. This is where you come in!
    There aren't any in Australia and as a last resort I'm putting the word around the world to see if there are any (hopefully yours will fit) I can acquire. The manufacturers, as I'm sure you are aware are asking US$700 + to supply a new one. This would equate to around AU$1k all said and done. People say if you fly planes, you must have money. I have some, but not enough to throw around ha ha.
    So, I'm asking you if I can take you up on your offer to give one of your struts and new and good home? The aircraft is registered with the Recreational Aviation Australia Organisation www.raa.asn.au and we have the knowledge, qualifications and ability to fit the strut if and when we get it.
    I'm trying to see how to attach a picture of the aircraft on here but not having any luck.
    Is there any way we can communicate via email? or telephone? Obviously if you agree to help me, I'll forward monies for your time and effort. not to mention packing and postage.
    I'm looking forward to your favourable response.
    Kind regards
    Peter Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Aero View Post
    And if you wanted to "upgrade" the old struts, I have some barrels for the heavier 5/8-18 forks. Obviously for experimental types only...……...

StrutBarrel-010918.jpg