Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Leading Edge Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leading Edge Exhaust

Here I am back again at it. Muffler ends and pipes lengthened to get a minimum of 2" overlap on the slip-joints. Wrapped the muffler in a blanket for good measure too.

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

New clamps with alignment dowel. Lots of Holts gum-gum, - no more leaking here!.

IMG_1847.jpg IMG_1849.jpg

added a little cage/bale too

IMG_1836.jpg
    Last edited by Yellow Baron; 04-06-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, to get the cockpit entirely CO2 free (my Draeger CO2 alarm kept on going off during descent/touch down and landing) we lengthened the tailpipe:

IMG_1939.jpg IMG_1941.jpg IMG_1942.jpg IMG_1943.jpg

Before it was a tad on the short side:

IMG_8891.jpg

and you can see I had previously lengthened the lip to improve cooling airflow before I took the time replacing the old leaky 0-320 baffling with a proper fitting 0-360 kit from VANS recently.

I now took that extra lip off again, since my new baffling now gives me up to 6.5" water pressure differential between top and bottom of engine and all CHT's and OT are well within limits.

I flew several tests with pressure probes top and bottom, before and after oil-cooler, at the exit lip (with and without the extension) and temperature probes top and bottom of cowl, behind oil cooler, etc.

The only temperature that I am still a bit worried about is at the exit lip / bottom of the firewall - regardless of OAT (55-70 F)and engine temps it reaches 178 F on that spot. - Above the muffler and magnetos (on the low pressure side) my under-cowl temp is 122 F. Below the cylinders and exhaust risers in the middle/bottom part of the cowl it is 154 F.
    Its just at the exit where the pressure differential is at its greatest (7.5") that the heat seems to be concentrating and rising to 178 F.

It must have been that way for a while and it also 'cooked' my EI fuel pressure sensor (I now blanked it off untill I find a way to drop the temp there). Anybody ever measured the temp there under similar OATs (55-70 F)?
    Last edited by Yellow Baron; 04-06-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you have found/made a solution to your exhaust problems, I like that new tailpipe....CO2 is bad news, I got a dose of it once.
    I wonder if you got an O-320 exhaust system instead of a O-360 system, the 360 is a touch wider, so the pipes should be longer, and if so, that would explain your minimum overlap on the muffler tubes.

Why not duct a 1" scat hose to your pressure sensor to keep it cool?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    Nice to see you have found/made a solution to your exhaust problems, I like that new tailpipe....CO2 is bad news, I got a dose of it once.
    I wonder if you got an O-320 exhaust system instead of a O-360 system, the 360 is a touch wider, so the pipes should be longer, and if so, that would explain your minimum overlap on the muffler tubes.

Why not duct a 1" scat hose to your pressure sensor to keep it cool?
    That is exactly what I was planning as my next move ...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the hot spot

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

The pressure sensor goes vertical just next to the pump ....

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the progress to wrapping up the fuel system similar to the PA28-180 front end with a 2" tube delivering cold air the box

IMG_8937.jpg IMG_8936.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
    Here is the progress to wrapping up the fuel system similar to the PA28-180 front end with a 2" tube delivering cold air the box

IMG_8937.jpg IMG_8936.jpg
    IMG_8716.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

It’s done — blowing 60 degrees F ambient air from the front baffle onto my fuel pump, flow meter and pressure meter. Temperature outside the box 212 degrees F, inside 140 F significant improvement to almost boiling that AvGas.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you got that fixed...

Post Thanks / Like

Any word if Leading Edge is selling again? Found out during the Tri Pacer's annual last week that the muffler internal baffles are pretty well cracked. Thinking about changing to a whole new exhaust system, having already needed another exhaust repair a few months back - system is finally giving out!