Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Actually considering a project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Actually considering a project

As some of you have seen I'm finally getting my A&P after putting it off for a decade since I got the FAA authorizations. I've been saving up cash to buy my first plane and at first didn't really consider projects since I dont' really have the experience to do them, or the time to do it.

Well now I might have a place to work on a project and the time as well...so I've started glancing at some projects. I'm not sure how much money there is to be saved by doing the work myself and having an IA check after me and for the paperwork though.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if there is money to be saved with a project...I've seen some really nice airplanes on barnstormers that someone else has put every last drop of blood into completing now for sale for $10-15000 less than they have invested. I'm pretty certain I'll be there in a few years.

The biggest benefit of the rebuild to me is the understanding and knowledge I have, or will have, of this airplane when its all done. Not to mention the experience gained! Can't buy that for any money
    A downside is that this project has kept me on the ground and not flying so I've decided to slow the Pacer project down and allow time to go fly. Just joined a flying club last Saturday to get back at it. (The club has two airplanes, a Champ and a 172). I'll keep working on the Pacer and collecting parts, just no real hurry now which is the way I want it to be.

Good luck with your search Tadpole, I'm getting excited to see what you find!

Post Thanks / Like

Few things in life give the personal satisfaction of building your own airplane, be it a ground-up restoration or a full-blown "cut your own tube" plans built (or own design) aircraft. There is only ONE thing that compares for exhilaration to your first solo...that's the Maiden Voyage of an airplane that no one has ever flown before (if anyone thinks that a sixty -or one hundred- year old airplane that has been taken down to every single unit piece and lovingly restored isn't a "virgin airplane that has never flown before"...well, they simply haven't been there, done that).

One full-blown WARNING, though...the vast majority of people that have done it find that is is extremely addicting, and they find themselves "Jonesing" very soon after their first airplane is flying regularly! Flying is tantamount. But there is always going to be at least HALF of every day that you CAN'T go flying and the next most recreational thing you will find yourself longing for is "another project". Boy, it sure is nice though, when you get to choose whether to work on that wing, or go flying. ...and you can actually do BOTH. Yep, a Man needs TWO airplanes; one to fly in and one to be working on. Them that has, knows.

If you are conscious of what you will have "invested" when you are finished with a project, then you oughta just BUY something...when you "do your own airplane" you will find in the end that you have "wasted" your time, because if you are LUCKY and can sell it (and WHY would you want to?), that you will have gotten paid about 6 cents an hour for your time. On the other hand, the satisfaction (and knowing every washer, cotter pin and torque value on your airplane is CORRECT) that you will have is something that money simply can not buy. This floods over you when the tires leave the ground for the first time. You'll need to develop a new "anthem" if you take on a project... "Might as well [spend even MORE money on what you are standing over and looking down at. Now's the time!]". There's another saying that'll help you "get through" when the going seems tedious..."If every body COULD, everybody WOULD."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the biggest question here is do you want to spend your time working on a airplane or flyin one?

Going out and enjoying flying camping and all that comes with that, or, spending alot of your extra time in the hanger or grauge working on a project?
    Take it from me.. Forget the hanger you will never get anything done, Why? Becouse everyone will be comeing by to talk and see how its comeing along. You'll get alot of hanger flyin done but not much else.

If you can swing it buy something to fly,and if you want a project or to biuld that plane with the personal touch,(nothing compares) do that secound or on the side as you can afford.Once its in the air you can always sell the original a/c.
    What ever you decide its all good. You just need to figure out what you're really want.
    The Chicken or the Egg.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

In my case it's the journey not the destination. I have not flown for a while - I spend every spare moment I have in the workshop (at home) working on Patsy and while I do get itchy feet on those calm sunny evenings, I remember the first time I flew MTS after a four year restoration. I shut down and then sat there and wept - it was a very emotional time!

Can't wait to do it again! (The flying not the weeping)

With this restoration I have the benefit of much better information and better access to parts (SWPC CD's, internet, ebay, this site and it's contributors). I decided to upgrade the aeroplane to more modern standards. Better instruments, radios, seats, "go faster" mods, paintwork, etc. While this suits MY personality, some people insist on restoring to absolutely original condition - either way there is a lot to be said for taking a tired scruffy looking aeroplane and pushing it out a year or so later looking and performing better than it did when new.

Tadpole - if you decide on a project one thing I can guarantee - the first time you push the hangar door open and pull out your "new" Pacer, you will pop the buttons off your shirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Tadpole iI just posted my Clipper.Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Tadpole iI just posted my Clipper.Billy
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw your other posting

Post Thanks / Like

Tadpole

I do both- I fly in the Spring,Summer& Fall and "redo" something in the winter.winters are long up here and very little flying is done between Nov and March. This winter i'm thinking of recovering the wings. I set myself a target of being ready to fly the first of March. Perhaps this might be for you too- buy something airworthy and slowly rebuild it to your liking and have the best of both worlds. however haven't figured out the time schedule when I "redo" the Fuse...... Almost Got the Wife and Mom talked into doing the Upholstery
    Since I bought my pa22 2.5 years ago I have replaced the prop, starter,alt, compass,bungee,Tires, brakes..... rebuilt the cylinders, baffles,Mags, generator& made new oil and primer lines. Mechanicaly it's getting close to where I want it. Now comes the "appearance" of the A/C.

my two cents

Shane

Post Thanks / Like

I do both- I fly in the Spring,Summer& Fall and "redo" something in the winter
    TadPole I agree with this, I do it myself and is a good way to go.

gliderman Thats a great two cents!!

Ken