Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Repeditive muffler inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Repeditive muffler inspection

I believe the Attlee hot rod, Sutton, and Rupert exhaust systems don't require the 100 hour inspections.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I should have specified I have a Nose Wheel on a stock PA22-150. Sutton and Rubbert (not Rupert) won't work. I'll look into Attlee hot rod. I REALLY want to eliminate this 100 hr inspection. I can't believe we put up with this crap. Simply said, if it isn't reliable enough to trust it beyond 100 hours, wtf is it doing on my airplane if it takes more than 15 minutes to check it out and verify it's ok??? That's my logic. Tell me where that doesn't make sense.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Subsonic; 12-06-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I just checked F. Attlee Dodge, and I cannot find any evidence they offer a muffler that eliminates the 100 hour inspection requirement for a PA22 Stock Airplane WITH-Nose-Wheel. We are just fkd. I'm amazed no company can find an audience for this product. I think they could sell 1000 of them in 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it's a 50hr inspection. If you have an A&P that you work with you could do this yourself, take time stamp pics, and have him inspect your work afterwards. A pain in the ass for sure but really just an afternoon project to do as you described above.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J Ryd; 12-06-2022 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Ok, I just checked F. Attlee Dodge, and I cannot find any evidence they offer a muffler that eliminates the 100 hour inspection requirement for a PA22 Stock Airplane WITH-Nose-Wheel. We are just fkd. I'm amazed no company can find an audience for this product. I think they could sell 1000 of them in 3 years.
    Or you could get rid of the training wheel in front and be able to use one of those listed above. Love my Sutton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a 50hr inspection. If you have an A&P that you work with you could do this yourself, take time stamp pics, and have him inspect your work afterwards. A pain in the ass for sure but really just an afternoon project to do as you described above.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It is a 100 hour inspection until 950 hours time in service, then it becomes a 50 hour inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

The Charlie Center PA-12 “hot Rod muffler” that FA dodge sells is not approved for the PA-22.

It will fit nicely but takes some work though, must be clocked appropriately to miss any tubing and shifted to the left a scosh, the left steering rod will need a bit if a joggle too.

The big issue is the heat muff/heater wrap, you’ll need to drill off the lower outlet scupper, rivet a cover, and relocate it some. It will become obvious which one and where. Figure I’ve posted some fotos on another thread here on the SWP.

I put this on mid float season or there abouts and moved on, later that fall went straight from floats to skis.

First takeoff and my head kinda sets back as a cobbed the throttle… Did my three and each time the same thing. I was like WTF, don’t recall doing anything special, just my usual 100hour-ish cause I’ve got her in the hanger and the cowl off anyway: oil, plugs, compression, timing.
    Later that night it hit me, it was that muffler! I just didn’t notice it on floats but on the glare ice of early winter she just ripped from a stand still in a way she sure didn’t the winter before.

Owner produced part

Rocket

BTW: the inspection is not fir the faint at heart, rusty nuts and broken studs are de rigor if things have been poorly maintained etc. takes skill and experience to not **** something up, and dedication to do it right: pay me now or pay me later. Planes have caught on fire mid air do to sloppy neglected exhaust maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Ok, I should have specified I have a Nose Wheel on a stock PA22-150. Sutton and Rubbert (not Rupert) won't work. I'll look into Attlee hot rod. I REALLY want to eliminate this 100 hr inspection. I can't believe we put up with this crap. Simply said, if it isn't reliable enough to trust it beyond 100 hours, wtf is it doing on my airplane if it takes more than 15 minutes to check it out and verify it's ok??? That's my logic. Tell me where that doesn't make sense.
    Thanks!
    I agree. I still inspect like your mechanic and believe if you take the whole thing apart every 50/100 hrs (depending on total time of muffler like previously posted) that you are causing more problems (pushing and pulling on pipes, retorquing exhaust studs etc). The PA12 muffler is the same part number as the Pacer and Tri-Pacer. I was at Atlee Dodge several years ago with Jim Dyer the owner and Steve Kracke the general manager and we discussed Butch Cavanaugh's Hot Rod muffler for the PA12 as a muffler for the Pacer/Tri-Pacer. Kracke told me that the muffler would have to be flight tested on all the different engine models on the Pacer/Tri-Pacer. I also know Butch was having issues with getting the repetitive inspection removed on the Hot Rod PA12 muffler where they had no issue with the Hot Rod PA18 muffler. There are no baffles in the muffler which was the original issue when those baffles came loose and stopped up the tail pipe. More ridiculousness from the FAA not promoting safety in my opinion since this new muffler is way better from a safety standpoint than the original and every time you remove an exhaust system you are inducing forces on it that shorten it's life span, also my opinion coming from trying to get pipes apart, studs pulling out of cylinder heads etc.

https://fadodge.com/pa-12-hot-rod-muffler/

Post Thanks / Like

Some of these challenges are just part of the landscape of flying vintage aircraft. That stock system was conceived well over half a century ago. Not like the work of art that is on my 10 year old Toyota Tundra (Texas built, I might add). That system will probably be on the truck another 10 years and another 150,000 miles.

Would be nice if you could just bolt on the Sutton, it is simple and bulletproof. If it was my Tri-Pacer, I’d seriously look at adapting the Hot Rod muffler as Rocket suggests. I don’t like the “manhandling” of that old system and the exhaust studs constantly either, but the risk of CO and fire is very real on these airplanes, and not to be trifled with.

Good luck with your decision!

Post Thanks / Like

Or you get rid of that nosewheel and then you CAN do this!

F429EF69-B0E1-4EDD-97B1-A69762182CD3.jpeg