Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P-Leads

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-Leads

What's the correct gauge of shielded wire to buy for the P-Leads for the magnetos. just noticed mine are really old and piece milled together. Anyone know? I keep pricking my fingers on the strands from the old outside shielding! Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Sacremento Air Ranch. http://www.sacskyranch.com/acatalog/...l_Wire_37.html
    The P-lead wire they sell has a heavier guage shield. I tried some other shielded aircraft wire for P-leads that had very fine wire shield and it was difficult to work with.

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I made new P-leads for Cathy's Tri-Pacer and used the wire listed above. Nice and flexible, worked very well and looks good too with a durable cover over the shield.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve and Frogdad. I made an order this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you guys are right! This stuff is very flexible and quite different from what's on the mags now! I better be careful stripping it though.

Post Thanks / Like

i made a video on how i was shown to neatly and easily strip and setup that white covered shielded wire... after doing it the hard way for decades....

http://www.youtube.com/user/mcsrepai...11/J51MJEfyZD8

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - also had a look at your other videos - good stuff!

And guess what I was doing yesterday - working out how to use ball bearing pulleys with 3/8 shaft. My lathe is not quite as sophisticated as yours but I will be able to do the same thing.
    Last edited by Curly; 08-26-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! That is extremely helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Wireing Question

Well Guys,
    Another question on wiring.
    My 0-320 in the Pacer has the Bendix S4-20 Mags that use the External P Lead Filters. I'm having a real hard time trying to understand how you hook up the P Lead on the screw side of the filter. I have the P lead to the mag hooked up.
    I don't understand how the shielding can be used to ground out the mag, if all you do is install a insulated terminal end to the wire and attach it to the screw. The shielding would just stop at that point and not make a complete circuit .My plan is to attach the shield to the post on the Bendix Mag switch with the other at the P lead. The switch itself would NOT have a ground wire to the post from to the airframe. I hope that makes sense to you.
    Here is the filter and drawing under documents. The drawing doesn't indicate what to do with the shield.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...lickkey=291290
    Thanks so much Guys,
    Jim ( the one with the hurting brain)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another Wireing Question

Jim,
    I see in the drawing that they state that the shield will ground through the cap assy (items 2&3), but that only grounds the filter case. It seems to me that the P-lead shielding will still need to be grounded at the mag shell.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid