Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoke Emblems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yoke Emblems

In response to a question on another thread you could make your own yoke emblems from sheet aluminum. The best way I found to do this is with PnP sheets. PnP Blue (Press and Peel) is used to make prototype printed circuit board layouts that are ready to etch. PnP Blue is a Mylar (Polyester) backed material in which several layers of release agents and resist coatings are applied. An image is printed or photocopied onto this film, using a laser printer or photocopier (dry toner based), and then iron on to a cleaned aluminum sheet. The image area applied to the film is subsequently transferred to the aluminum, along with the high quality resist (blue). The film is removed and resulting piece is ready to etch. The finished etching should remove about 1/32 of metal and be ready for applying paint.
    I have attached a picture of a yoke emblem that I created which is ready to be printed on PnP blue. The picture is the same size as the original yoke emblem but lacks the rounded corners and charm of the Piper font. Another idea is to layer in other Piper logos on the plain yoke background. I have used a product called snagit to grab images and then clean them up with Microsoft paint. I have also attached a picture of the Pacer “125” fuselage marking which I think would look great as a yoke emblem for a 50 Pacer.
    Also when you go to remove the old yoke emblems weld a small bead on the head of the drive rivet. This makes them easier to remove than trying to drill out a metal pin surrounded by soft aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 10-11-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

this is also how i make custom emblems.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXj5Ng3X58

my first attempt few years ago..., got lazy and didn't make it a 2 side mold, just open backed....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chuck, I've never heard of PnP blue, probably not available here. Could I talk you into making me a set?
    I like the idea of putting the "Pacer 125" on instead of the "Piper"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Neat stuff Chuck.

Cool Mike, did you make it a belt buckle.

Post Thanks / Like

it was just a test piece... I sent it to SJ...

whats the contact info for the PnP blue, I bought some 7 years ago to make some boards, prolly need new stuff now.... have a stack of it in my office..

Post Thanks / Like

here is the actual pattern i made...

its much sharper than the casting, because i did that open backed and it 'floated' up and made it not clear/sharp edges when I poured it....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoDriver View Post
    Thanks Chuck, I've never heard of PnP blue, probably not available here. Could I talk you into making me a set?
    I like the idea of putting the "Pacer 125" on instead of the "Piper"

Layered the "Pacer 125" onto the background. What do you think? I will sharpen things up and try burning and bending one up.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Yoke Emblems

Todd,
    Did ever get around to making these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Yoke Emblems

Quote Originally Posted by Tnelson View Post
    Todd,
    Did ever get around to making these?
    Back then I had some health problems and spent most of my time working on computers instead of the airplane. Due to sensitivity to chemicals, I sent the artwork and the removed emblems to a pro. He received them and said he would get to them in a couple of months. One month turned to two and so on until a few years had passed and then no more responses. I had also pushed this project to a back burner. Now I have no emblems.

I did make a reverse or negative of the artwork, which could be used with the PNP http://www.techniks.com/. The agent or chemical used to etch printed circuit boards is ferric chloride, which will etch the 3003 aluminum to the required depth in about 20 minutes.