Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G.u.m.p.f.s.

Post Thanks / Like

Default G.u.m.p.f.s.

I've got a buddy that applies carb heat on downwind but turns it off when pulling final flaps on short final. I've started doing that as my Pacer tends to stumble on short final when the OAT is above 80F or so.

This is not the go around without accelerator pump stumble although the same guy demonstrated that in my Pacer as well.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: G.u.m.p.f.s.

I have had carb ice in 0320 lycomings before, not often, but it happens. I try to remember to check it every time I lower power setting and of course on downwind. Out of habit I check it on takeoff once I turn crosswind. If the engine quits I can easily make the runway.

Jim
    Check the fuel bowl screws they can come loose and you will run real rich when you pull carb heat.
    DENNY

DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: G.u.m.p.f.s.

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    And why would you want Carb heat on a Lycoming? All it will do is foul the plugs.
    When you're (dumb enough to be flying) in -20 degrees F! Partial carb heat anyway...helps out a bit.