Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hydrasorbs ??????

Post Thanks / Like

Post Hydrasorbs ??????

Hi:
    Looking for a little advice on Hydrasorbs for a PA22-160
    I recently installed new shock cords (1080HD) on my plane and now I can barely stay in the seat when taxiing over rough terrain. My
    first thought is that the old Hydrasorbs are weak, and not able to dampen the action of the new stronger shock cords. Is that logical
    thinking?
    Secondly if I do need new Hydrasorbers they are available as complete units, or shock absorber only, with a considerable differance in
    price. Are there any good reasons why I wouldn't want to reuse my old top and bottom fittings on new shock absorbers.
    Do you see any problems installing the top fitting to the threaded end of the new shock absorber.

Post Thanks / Like

Your hydrosorbs may be worn out and not providing the function of dampening the "spring" provided by the bungees. Yes, you should be able to re-use the fittings off of your existing hydrosorbs, unless they have some obvious damage or defect. The hydrosorbs do last a very long time, as they see less service than an automobile shock absorbers that are working every mile. If it is your desire to see how new 'sorbs react and if what you are experiencing is believed to be unaceptable, then you can replace them. But as you have seen they are rather expensive.

You might try running tire pressures a little lower (25-28 psi) to see if that helps on rough terrain.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd check the hydrosorbs before I bought new ones. New bungees usually give you that jolting ride for a while. I have never been able to get the screwed in fitting off of a hydrasorb even after removing the roll pin. I have only tried on 2 or 3 but they weren't budging. Tried Kroil and heat so far. Trying to save some money myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Per the Tri Pacers owners handbook in section III - tire inflation, mains 22 lbs, nose wheel at 15 lbs. Your tire pressure may be too high for one thing or you may have another problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Tbird, your numbers are right. It's easy to think that those tire pressures should be higher.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

If your hydrasorbs (both??) were bad, you should have noticed a lack of dampening prior to changing the bungee cords...It is most likely as Steve says stiff new bungees. I hate changing my bungees; not only because of the job but, because I've got to relearn how to land my plane, once again.

Hi, Frank and Theresa.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

After we changed the bungees in my '55 Tripe ( one 1280HD and one 1080HD on each side) I found the ride to be like an empty truck. HOWEVER, I found the ground handling to me much more precise and much more to my liking. When I am planningto land on a rough surface ( namely turf ) , I drop the tire pressures to 19 on the mains and 14 on the nosewheel. Seems to help.
    Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

Would a wore out hydrasorb cause the plane to lean slightly to one side? Or would this be attributed to bungees wore out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avalancheman View Post
    Would a wore out hydrasorb cause the plane to lean slightly to one side? Or would this be attributed to bungees wore out?
    that would be the bungee..

the bungee cords controls the stretch... the hydrasorb just slows the rebound

Post Thanks / Like

Default bungees and hydrosorbs

I have changed countless bungees on pa 22's. I always check the action of the hydrosorb units after removing the old cords, and before installing the new ones. It should act as a shock absorber on a car, with no resistance as it extends and with quite a bit of resistance as it retracts. New cords will always make for a stiffer ride because the hydrosorbs aren't extending at all with the strength of the cord. Just give it a little time and use.