Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: beacons and strobes

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an illustration of the acceptable locations.

http://www.whelen.com/_AVIATION/cata...%20Systems.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Who holds the STC for the Whitaker mount?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Roger L.Castle, Vancouver,WA. STC SA4-977 and Whelen SA615EA The Whelen STC is to change the beacon to a strobe. I used the self contained one so I did not need a power unit mounted in the plane. Just ran the wires.
    Last edited by NHPacerPilot; 05-28-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotating Beacon - 1950 Pacer

Hi All,

I have a rotating beacon on my 1950 Piper Pacer that is located on the top of the rudder. It was installed in the 60s, it appears (via the logbooks). It seems to have lied down and quit (although we're still going to check the panel switch, etc.). It's an old-style beacon that actually rotates.

My question: Does anyone know the original location of a beacon on the 1950 Pacer (or the early Pacers)? I've looked at drawings and some old magazine articles I have for the '50 Pacer and all I see are nav lights on the wing tips and a white light on the tail.

Thanks!
    Casey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rotating Beacon - 1950 Pacer

The originals had few rotation beacons, but the mount on the rudder was the way a lot were added. I would suggest replacing taht old one with a strobe of the same size.
    My old Pacer had one in the belly that I installed. Mostly because I didn't care for the big lump on the top of the rudder.
    That being said the one on the thop of the rudder probably gives the best coverage (except from directly below).
    I didn't think there was enough difference to justify buying the mount and the lump on the rudder to justify it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!

Out of curiosity, what is the requirement for continuing to have the rotating beacon? If the original aircraft didn't have one, is it required equipment? I'm not suggesting I wouldn't replace it, but just trying to understand.

It's curious that the originals appeared to have nav lights/landing lights, but potentially no strobe/rotating beacon.

Always learning something new...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember exactly, but I think if you fly after sunset you must anti-collision lights (strobes - rotating beacons etc.)
    CAR-3 certified aircraft have different requirements than part 21 FAR so to some extent your Pacer is grandfathered and does not have to have the latest and greatest.
    Exactly what that is someone else will have to tell you.
    Way back to carry passengers at night for hire you had to have s aet of flares, but that has been superceeded and they were removed.
    Landing lights, for example, are reauired at night also to carry passengers for hire now. Your Pacer may or may not have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here s a question I asked the AOPA a number of years ago.

Question: I have an older aircraft that does not have an anticollision light system installed. Do I need anticollision lights to fly at night?

Under FAR 91.209 only aircraft position lights are required. Strobes are not required. FAA
    Chief Legal Counsel has issued opinions stating strobe (anticollision) OR position lights. OR
    is giving you the option. Since your aircraft is not equipped with strobes, installation is not
    necessary.

Regards,

Larry Barnhart
    Aviation Services Department

A later similar question in response to an article in AOPA magazine caused me to question the article indicating something different from above and here the answer I got so go figure, I still don't know the answer. The below was also from MEMBER ASSIST@AOPA.COM

The 1971 amendment to 91.205(c)(3) still stands but there is a difference between anti collision lights and strobe lights. You do not need strobe lights if they weren't previously installed but you do need rotating beacon and anti-collision lights.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 09-27-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nice rudder mount strobe (half red half white) which you can have if you want it. Has bracket and cuff. It's taking space in my garage. Was on my 51 Pacer. I installed wingtip strobes.
    wayne 310 617 3257

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for easy/cheap anti collision lights

I need to get my dad's PA22-160 legal for night flight for my own selfish reasons. It doesn't currently have a rotating beacon or a strobe. I've searched for LED strobes, but they're either too expensive or not STC'd. I don't really want to run another wire to the nav lights because it looks like it wouldn't be possible to do it properly. Whelen obviously has nice stuff, but by the time I get everything it would end up costing well over a grand. What do you experienced short wingers recommend for cheapskates?