Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Whelen strobes lights on a PA22

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Installing Whelen strobes lights on a PA22

Has anyone here installed the Whelen strobe position lights on a PA22 before? I have a restoration project I'd like to use them on with the original Piper wingtip standoffs but am overwhelemed with information on all the different systems they offer. I've contacted Whelen and it seems that everyone who can answer my questions there is on vacation.

Aircraft Spruce has some info but the details on using he original stand offs is not part of their database.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Michel Heit A&P IA rmrlpfm@centuryel.net

Post Thanks / Like

I have installed the basic three strobe light system on a Tri-Pacer and a couple of others. The standard Piper mounts work well for the wings. The rudder will need the tail light mount opened up to accept the tail light/strobe light combo light. You will not meet the required light coverage with just the wing strobes unless you already have a beacon or strobe mounted on the belly or top of the rudder. I like the tail light/strobe light unit since it is the least trouble to install and complies with the required coverage. The power supply can be installed any place in the fuselage that you can get to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a complete set of Whelen strobe/position lights destined for my Pacer. After looking at the location and length of the standoffs, it is apparent they are too far forward on my round tip wings to give the required visibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still plan to use the system? Which model of Whelen did you use??

Quote Originally Posted by sdemeyer View Post
    I have a complete set of Whelen strobe/position lights destined for my Pacer. After looking at the location and length of the standoffs, it is apparent they are too far forward on my round tip wings to give the required visibility.

Post Thanks / Like

There is another post called beacons and strobes for more information in this section. Here is a useful link for information from Whelen.

http://www.whelen.com/_AVIATION/cata...%20Systems.pdf

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a top mounted strobe that was installed years ago, what we are interested in is the wing tip position lights with strobes. I am not certain which Whelen model to use? I see a photo of them mounted on the Whelen catalogue page but no indication of the faring used or the model number for installatiton. I thought it would be nice to use the original mounting farings with the Whelen strobe/position lights mounted inside the farings. I'm thinking the remote power supply where bpth wings could be wired into one power supply mounted inside the cabina area maybe on the back side of the fire wall ... ??

Deermining hte correct part number, etc is the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the model # off the top of my head. My set does have one remote power supply, powering both left and right assemblies. I have not decided yet if I am going to install, though I did run new wiring in anticipation. If I do, I would need to obtain/fabricate new standoffs because new strobes/nav lights are slightly larger than the original nav only lights. I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know if they can be legally used on my Pacer. I happened to come across them on Barnstormers and I couldn't pass up the deal. They look official
    Last edited by sdemeyer; 11-30-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I have a call into the Whelen Engineering team and hopefully they can give me more information on the installation. My primary concern using the original standoffs would be the need for an field approval if the STC doesn't cover that type of install. I did see an installation on what appears to be a short wing Piper wingtip, and a translucent type of stand off; maybe an after market or a Whelen supplied part?

When I hear from them I'll post the info here ... keep warm, God bless.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

FAR 23.1401 allows solid angles of obstructed visibility of .5 steradians for anticollision lights. The greatest angle of obstructed visibility on dual wing mounted shortwing strobes would be directly behind the aircraft. It is essentially the thickness of the wing bow area, which is less than the allowed .5 steradian.

Post Thanks / Like

Set of Whelen wingtip strobes came with the basket case PA-22/20 that I am currently working on. The housings appear to be identical to those of the original wing tip nav lights and will acommodate both the strobes and conventional nav lights together. I have mounted the power supply in the aft part of the baggage compartment. I have as did "Luvcubs", calculated that I don't need a tail strobe. But I AM going to install a tail light because I can envision situations where I want the strobes off.(Such as taxiing around the airport at night.)