Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best covering?

Post Thanks / Like

Default best covering?

I have been looking at recovering my PA-22 ...I was thinking of maybe Stewarts Systems or Polyfiber or ? My plane is left outside year long unfortunatly does anybody know a system that might be better for this aplication?

Thanks for any help

Rick Savold

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to stay away from Poly Fiber if possible. The system is easy and looks very nice when you follow the manual, but I do not like all the MEK in the system, even though this is what we just used on our project. I would most likely use the Stewarts system if I did it again. I think the cost is about the same for the Stewarts as for the Poly Fiber.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Polyfiber and recently switched to Stewart system. It is easier to get a better quality job. It is safer...non-toxic. I like the glue system best, it sticks to anything. The final finish paint is more challenging to the easier Polytone finishes that I have used it is more like spraying any two part finish. I would consider using Stewart and spray final coat in Polytone. Get the video's of the Stewart system, watch them, also get the book and keep it nearby when you are working. You can call Doug or Dan Stewart anytime for advice. Good luck and enjoy.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

One of my friends, who has recovered at least 10 airplanes, recently did a PA-18 with the Stewart System. In his words, "It is about a 10 foot paint job".
    Another of my friends, who has covered at least 5 airplanes, recently did a kit Cub with Stewart. In his words, "It is about a 5 foot paint job".
    I have done a PA22/20 and a PA22 with Polyfiber. It is what my current PA22-20 is covered with and is now awaiting warmer weather for the color. My Chief was covered with Polyfiber in 1985 and still appears to have been done "yesterday". (Always hangared)
    I did some work on the PA-18 and I do agree that the Stewart glue is miraculous. I think using Polytone for the final color is a great idea. But read the Stewart STC carefully.
    I think the outside storage success will depend on the UV protection afforded by the Stewart primer. I have no direct knowledge about this.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Stewarts Systems. I covered my Kitfox with Polyfiber and my Pacer with Stewarts. I much prefer Stewarts Systems. The EkoPoly top coat is really not that hard to shoot and get a good job. Although it is very expensive paint.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

here is a post i made last a couple weeks ago on the OTHER short wing site

Stewert Systems One year Later
    I thought I would share my observations regarding a wing I recovered last year useing Stewert Systems.

I recovered one tripacer wing using ciconite fabric aplied per the SS manual tapes and useing the blue green glue. I can not say enough about the processe! Flawless every step of the way. A budy of mine did his pa12 rudder and left some glue lines but he must have been lazzzzzy or blind???? I did not have to do the wing tip though as the wing had a PlaneBooster mod with the screew on tape on droop tip. Look for the Utube on erlyer post here in the forum.

We did the two brush coats and I htink we needed to be leaving a little more material as I think we left it a little dry or it needed another two brush coats. I just denibbed befor spraying as the fabric was reallly smooth.

While spraying the required UV/ filler coats I did have a bit of pin holeing where the brush coats were light and was wishing I had brushed a little more befor spraying.

Sanding-i sanded the whole wing my self not dareing anyone else to touch the wing with sandpaper or greassy kid fingers. When I was done sanding it was really perfect, perfect for me that is. If I wanted to go Oshkosh now whould be the time for another three coats of filler and a second sanding. I was tempted....any way it was now ready for the top coat

The topcoat- I made a map on the wall with butcher paper and instructed my assestant to keep track of coats as there is a strict schedual as to how much is aplied and with a wing it is a non stop dance with one mixing in the middle to keep within the optamum pot life. Well assestant screewd up and some where in the heat of battle forget where we were sh*&. after all was said and done we were stairing at a bunch of catilized paint and I was able to think back and realized we missed one half of a cross coat but that made all the diference-we would have had Oshkosh after all. I few days later I sprayed all the inspection covers and other misc items and they came out like glass. Fortunatly the leading edge was douple coated so it came out perfect but the rest of the wing was smooth and glossy but just had a hint of orenge peal that that one missing coat would have no doubt filled. All in all not bad for painting a whole wing having never shot the meterial befor and the next time can be perfect.

Performance- Really nothing to mention here. There was one event about three weeks after the wing was painted. We had snow and winter about and it was about 20 deg F when the local FBO's fuel valve did not shut off and befor eI could stop it I had dumped about a gallon on top and around the fuel tank cover hole. NOw part of the processe has one spray ahandfull of coats in the fuel tank bay of the UV/filler. Anyway I feared tapes and fabric flapping in the wind but noticed nothing, no lifting or bubbling. Like I said nothing.

Rocket

This should be a youtube video/slide show I put together showing the wing process. I am not sure it will work as the domain is blocked here at the public library so there is no way for a test flight.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VQ8PejqR_EeECQ
    Last edited by rocket; 01-05-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: ad utube

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that there really is no better option in ease of application and reduced chemical exposure compared to any other process. I did not decide to use the product until I was informed of its use for over seven years in THE fabric shop in Fairbanks Alaska were the cold is really the biggest potential for introducing trauma.

My only concern is that with a lifetime of covering starting with tissue and dope on balsa at about five years old has allowed me to acquire skills the average person has not and it might not really be that easy.

I have a pair of wings coming into the shop recently repaired around the fuel tanks but the old fabric did not re shrink. It is covered in stits but I have no doubts about replacing the top and bottoms of the fuel tank bays with the stewart system top coat and all. The STC and installation instructions are approved for repairing all covering systems.

I would be concerned top-coating with anything other then the SS topcoat.

A couple of years ago I repaired a three inch hole with a SS glue on patch over byuterate. Wanting to match the original finish i top-coated with byuterate and noticed when I was a little heavy and had not allowed the first vary light coats to dry the SS UV coating appeared to bubble in a couple of places. I really think I just needed to wait a day between operations for everything to dry and cure completely but have not had the opportunity to try again. I will say the patch has been in service for a while and has shown no deterioration.

Any way take all this with a grain of salt and a three dollar latte.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: best covering?

I have to decide whiche system I want to use, Polyfiber or Stewart. I prever the Stewart. Yesterday I checked some prices and was shocked. 1 gal juneau white Polyfiber is $80 and from Stewart $280. Can that be? That means that Polyfiber system is a third of the costs of Stewart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is that Polytone, Ranthane or Aerothane. Polytone is soft, kinda like dope and you need Polyfiber 8500 reducer with it. Aerothane and Ranthane are catalyzed polyurethane. You need catalyst and reducer. I believe Syewarts price includes catalyst and you are using water as a reducer. Last time I ran a cost comparison Stewarts was about $600 cheaper for the whole job.

Post Thanks / Like

I did my wings in Stewart Systems and they came out very nice.
    The inspection holes I cut out I stuck halfway into my shed shingles
    so I could see how it held up to sun and weather. After two
    years there is no visible difference. I know Ohio isn't Alaska,
    but I am happy.
    Dave