Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Leaking Primer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leaking Primer

Boy, apologies... I haven't really read this thread for quite a while!

To follow up: my PA-22 is still not yet back in the air --been fixing a ton of other stuff, you know how it goes-- but even though the primer pump had issues, the run-rich problem was eventually traced to, frankly, a screwed-up carb overhaul.

The primer pump was inop when I bought it (works fine now), but the real issue was a badly seated needle valve in the carb. The carb had been overhauled, but they messed up and bent the float tang too much, rather than shimming the needle seat.

All better now, and last time it was run it shut off just fine --normally/as expected-- when mixture was leaned to the cut-off point on the throttle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Or cap the primer temporarily and see what that does. Have had an issue with the flexible mixture shaft in the carburetor where it would not fully cut off the mixture when pulled to idle cut off.

Post Thanks / Like

"...cap the primer temporarily..." Steve & Stephen -- that's what I did, and again sorry for not following up on this thread.

After I completely capped off the primer, the engine still wouldn't shut off on mixture cut-off, which pointed me back to the carb. Yes, the primer pump was most likely also not sealing, but it was primarily the carb's float/needle that was causing the problem.

The shop I sent the carb to was surprised I didn't have raw fuel drippage -- they called and asked me about it -- as the tang had been bent so much (presumably while setting the float level) it caused a mis-alignment of the needle & seat and it apparently was incapable of closing completely. Fortunately that was the only major repair they needed to address (the rest of the carb checked out fine), and now the primer also works as it should.

So, yeah, there were two problems on my O-320, both of which have been addressed.
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 02-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Or cap the primer temporarily and see what that does. Have had an issue with the flexible mixture shaft in the carburetor where it would not fully cut off the mixture when pulled to idle cut off.
    Capping off the primer system was the test I used to get me to focus on the primer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."