Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now is the time for all IA's to renew

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now is the time for all IA's to renew

Now that March is here it is time to renew our IA certificates. As a semi retired IA who rebuilds and maintains a few aircraft and helps out some buddies, but it not "full time employed" as a mechanic I find that the new noise about thr requirements is worrisome at best.
    I an actively rebuilding and modifying several aircraft that are not currently airworthy and i have been "saving " the 337's until I am ready to finish up the planes.
    SOoooooo I don't have the required number of 337' or annuals for the report. I do have the required work if "in the opinion of the ASI I meet the (his) requirements for actively engaged.
    What is the opinion of the group for this new (old) requirement.
    While the excuse is to standardize the requirements it seems that it gose back to the old days when the ASI decided who and how many IA's his district needed and judged the applicant according to his own desires.
    I think that this is just another attempt to drive the little guys out and reward the "blessed" ones.
    Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

You can always attend one of the IA renewal seminars. They can not turn you down if you meet the minimum requirements for renewal and attending the seminars is the minimum. Of course you need one for each year. I'm going to one this year to get my sign off even though I have plenty of annuals under my belt. The one I attended last year was about rigging the PT6A engine. For me it was both informative and useful. I'm sure this one will be too.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff J; 03-06-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11767 View Post
    You can always attend one of the IA renewal seminars. They can not turn you down if you meet the minimum requirements for renewal and attending the seminars is the minimum. Of course you need one for each year. I'm going to one this year to get my sign off even though I have plenty of annuals under my belt. The one I attended last year was about rigging the PT6A engine. For me it was both informative and useful. I'm sure this one will be too.

Jeff
    I do the seminars every year as a back up, I get 4 annuals a year but do one of them twice. Bill O'Brien even suggested that as an option. He even suggested you could annual an airplane that was apart for mod, restoration,etc and fail it.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

The requirement of "4 Anns or 8 Maj xxx " has been around a long time as a REGULATION.

I believe the "Full-time employed" is an interpretation of a policy that not ALL FSDO's are buying into.

There are other options for renewal BUT your they are running out.

Was there an "8 hour Traing Course" in your region?

One of the mags ( AMT?) had a training program by mail.

There may be on-line ones as well.

The FSDO still has the option of giving you a oral exam.

Keep in mind you have to address 2 years.

Let this go into April & you will be required to retest.

To me the "4 or 8" was not a problem.

There were IA's that did "Periodic Inspections" well into the '70's.

My view is that there are very few "Full-time IA's".

Maybe A & P's or folks working under a Repair Station Certificate but that is different.

If you meet the REGS you should be eligible.

Are you sure you didn't do 2 Annuals on the aircraft?

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the recurrent training as I have done even when I was doing enough work to meet the requirements for 4 annuals and 8 337's.
    The problem may be the "activity" not being employed full time and not being an FAA ASI.(exempted by the new standard).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe the FARs or the Handbook say anything about having to be employed full time. I don't see the dreaded definition of "actively engaged" in the online version of the handbook. In fact I didn't even notice the ASI exemption (BTW- my comment on that was if they were exempted then their credentials become worthless). I wasn’t employed full time when I applied for my IA (in fact I was unemployed) and I am currently not employed full time. The truth of the matter is I am self employed and sometimes it’s a little slow. That is all the Feds need to know.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can see, you have to list the number of inspections, repairs, or alterations for each year. I do not see where they ask specificially what repairs, alterations, or inspections were done on any specific aircraft or specifically when they were done within quarter or the year. I guess you might need to have those specific records, just in case they come by for a "visit" and want to review your quarterly records. The FAA will have the recorded 337's on file, but has anyone experienced such an audit where the FAA researched what annuals were done, when, and on any specific aircraft?

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Read 65.93 Inspection authorization: Renewal.... Highlight: Meet 65.91 (c) (1) though (4). Regs say 8 Annuals (1 every 90 days) or, 16 (Major repairs or Major alterations) or, 1
    Progressive inspections or, Attend and complete a refresher course (Where I learned all of this) or, Oral test by the FAA. Read 65.83 (b) (1) though (4) as to what is required to have an "effective mechanic certificate". Whew.

Post Thanks / Like

My FSDO requires an "Activity Report" that details N Number Date & Status .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Read 65.93 Inspection authorization: Renewal.... Highlight: Meet 65.91 (c) (1) though (4). Regs say 8 Annuals (1 every 90 days) or, 16 (Major repairs or Major alterations) or, 1
    Progressive inspections or, Attend and complete a refresher course (Where I learned all of this) or, Oral test by the FAA. Read 65.83 (b) (1) though (4) as to what is required to have an "effective mechanic certificate". Whew.
    You still MUST do the minimum for EACH year .

ie 1 ann first year & 7 ann second year is not good.

This is n/a if you took course EACH YEAR .

Only difference from previous is you file the report every other year.