Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Landing Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Landing Light

A few weeks ago, I was landing at one of the few airports in my region that has a grass runway. As I flared, I looked down the runway to find that I was "nose to nose" with a C-170 trying to land the opposite direction! The details are not pertinent, but lets just say that the fact he was "NORDO" and his pattern left something to be desired, was contributing. Anyway, I have been thinking of what I could do to prevent a future occurrence? The only changes that I can come up with is to improve the lighting on 44K.
    First, improved anti-collision lighting. I currently have single flash wing strobes, which will be replaced ASAP with the "Comet Flash" package that I have had sitting on my shelf for years.
    However, I was wondering about installing a second set of landing/taxi lights in the right wing. This begs some questions on the feasibility of doing this.
    1. Can it be easily accomplished on a wing that is assembled and on the plane?
    2. Is there an STC to do this, or would I need to get it field approved. (Both would require a 337)
    3. What changes to the electrical system would have to be made? My plane was converted to an alternator before I got it, and I assume that I have plenty of load capability. However, two sets of light would likely be too heavy of a load for the switch, so I was wondering about using a relay system?
    This forum has always been a great place to bounce ideas off folks with much more problem solving talent than I.
    Last edited by pa20; 03-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2017 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Installing landing lights in the wings is expensive and a lot of work, There are a bunch of airplanes w/ LED low profile lights installed on the landing gear legs I have also seen some NAPA generic headlights installed on the landing gear legs and these all provide a lot of forward visibilty, and are easier to install. Also the LEDS are a little pricey but use little current.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you could just add a Pulselight system. I have a friend with a C182 who did that and at the same time switched to LED landing lights. They are both in one wing, yet when they flash it really gets your attention. Not quite as good as having lights in each wing but a LOT less work and still a very good result.

http://preciseflight.com/products/pulselite/general

Post Thanks / Like

A friend managed to get a Field Approval for a duplicate landing/taxi light in the right wing of a 172.

It was written up as identical to the factory Left wing .

PulseLight on ALL.

However; when on approach at night he often hears; "Say again on aircraft type?"

Post Thanks / Like

My PA22-20 108 does not have landing lights and I'm researching an economical and legal way to upgrade.

My parts manual references Piper Drawings number 14442 and 14502 for my aircrafts serial number.
    Does anyone have these or know where I can obtain them?

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess those drawings are on the shortwing CD and last time I checked univair sells the landing light for pipers for around $900.00 but it also seems like aircraft spruce sells a piper landing light kit for around $100.00 I dont have my catalog handy but thats going from memory I checked their website and found a "leading edge landing light" dont know if thats a generic kit or what but the piper kit was in their catolog a cpl years ago ,probably still is

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2nd Landing Light

I may be a little late with this info .But: A freind bought LED landing lights from www.superbrightleds.com for about $30.00 each. He bought the flasher from www.KEstrobes.com. Made for LED's because LED's don't draw enough current to operatee normal flasher.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of landing lights: Does anyone have a funtioning higher s/n PA22 landing light switch that might be able to be converted into a few greenbacks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was landing at one of the few airports in my region that has a grass runway. As I flared, I looked down the runway to find that I was "nose to nose" with a C-170 trying to land the opposite direction! The details are not pertinent, but lets just say that the fact he was "NORDO" and his pattern left something to be desired, was contributing. Anyway, I have been thinking of what I could do to prevent a future occurrence? The only changes that I can come up with is to improve the lighting on 44K.
    First, improved anti-collision lighting. I currently have single flash wing strobes, which will be replaced ASAP with the "Comet Flash" package that I have had sitting on my shelf for years.
    However, I was wondering about installing a second set of landing/taxi lights in the right wing. This begs some questions on the feasibility of doing this.
    1. Can it be easily accomplished on a wing that is assembled and on the plane?
    2. Is there an STC to do this, or would I need to get it field approved. (Both would require a 337)
    3. What changes to the electrical system would have to be made? My plane was converted to an alternator before I got it, and I assume that I have plenty of load capability. However, two sets of light would likely be too heavy of a load for the switch, so I was wondering about using a relay system?
    This forum has always been a great place to bounce ideas off folks with much more problem solving talent than I.
    Hmmm.....yes you can.
    STC might work but more workable is S I C.Hope this will help you.Waiting for your next post.
    http://www.niceledlights.com
    Last edited by lokp123; 07-31-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to go fishing - adding right wing landing light?

I think the search function here works pretty good, but I can't exactly find anything on adding a right side landing light. I procured a landing/taxi light assembly and just thought I would ask before cutting into the wing. Any tricks or tips on the install, and how did you install/protect the wire?

I have a friend here that has dual lights in his PA18 with Aero-LED's, the wig-wag feature is really great and you can see him miles away.