Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: 2nd Landing Light

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Landing Light

A few weeks ago, I was landing at one of the few airports in my region that has a grass runway. As I flared, I looked down the runway to find that I was "nose to nose" with a C-170 trying to land the opposite direction! The details are not pertinent, but lets just say that the fact he was "NORDO" and his pattern left something to be desired, was contributing. Anyway, I have been thinking of what I could do to prevent a future occurrence? The only changes that I can come up with is to improve the lighting on 44K.
    First, improved anti-collision lighting. I currently have single flash wing strobes, which will be replaced ASAP with the "Comet Flash" package that I have had sitting on my shelf for years.
    However, I was wondering about installing a second set of landing/taxi lights in the right wing. This begs some questions on the feasibility of doing this.
    1. Can it be easily accomplished on a wing that is assembled and on the plane?
    2. Is there an STC to do this, or would I need to get it field approved. (Both would require a 337)
    3. What changes to the electrical system would have to be made? My plane was converted to an alternator before I got it, and I assume that I have plenty of load capability. However, two sets of light would likely be too heavy of a load for the switch, so I was wondering about using a relay system?
    This forum has always been a great place to bounce ideas off folks with much more problem solving talent than I.
    Last edited by pa20; 03-27-2011 at 10:09 AM.