Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SWPC Drawing CDs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drawings CD

Hey Stephan,
    I saw your response there, and I was curious about the Sullivan wing extensions (what you know about them?) I am here in AK and talked to the X-winds stol guys, sounds cool,but they want a pile of money. Its actually two STC's one for tips and the other is a leading edge cuff and stall fences( it was like $4600.00). I was thinking of the Stewart tips, but don't know anything about the Sullivan extensions. Is it an actual extension or does it just square off the wing tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Nicka, I'm with you although I believe we're straying away from the original posting for the "Drawing CD". Probably ought to have this under "Modifications". Note the "Sullivan/Hendrick tip or Stewart Hanger21 Tip??" posting (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=318&hilit=sullivan).

Anyway, the few pix I've seen seems to indicate the Sullivan tip uses some variation of Hoerner style as does the Stewart tip. Sullivan's appears to be fiberglass while Stewart uses an upswept tip bow, internal structure, and fabric to form the tip . For some interesting reading on the subject, note Chris Heinz article, "Anatomy of a STOL Aircraft" (http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/design/design.html). He very much advocates this style of tip for effective span increase.

I've found the two Sullivan STCs:

• STC-SA479: Wingtips
      STC SA545: High Lift Leading Edge Kit (aka l/e cuffs)
    Even when I googled them, I'm unable to get much. They are listed on the FAA's site (see attached). However, it seems that Crosswind STOL also has them listed on their web site (http://www.crosswindsstol.com/listof.htm). You'll note in the attachment for the l/e cuffs, the FAA actually has it owned by someone other than Mr. Sullivan, but their records probably don't reflect STC purchases, only the original applicant.
    I'm curious about the performance of these tips relative to the Stewart Tips (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/product/65ef169e-60d5-4fd3-992f-520f34a6f72d.aspx), as well as the cost difference between the two.
    Last edited by cammons3; 01-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Sullivan's tips are a less expensive way to go than the X-Winds. I had a friend who installed them in a weekend and is very happy with the performance improvement. The Sullivan tips have more lifting surface than the Stewart tips. The only data I've seen on the Stewart tips was inconclusive.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Ron Sullivan's tips are a less expensive way to go than the X-Winds. I had a friend who installed them in a weekend and is very happy with the performance improvement. The Sullivan tips have more lifting surface than the Stewart tips. The only data I've seen on the Stewart tips was inconclusive.
    Stephen,
    Do you have cost and/or contact info for Sullivan's Tips? I just tried the "rsullivan AT alaska.com" address. It kicked back on me.
    Thanx!
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Sullivan

907-345-4630
    P.O. Box 110164
    Ancorage, A99511

We just ordered a set on tips and ribs and a few other parts, with shipping to WA. It came to a little over $1000. I'll need to add some recover material and another set of full length ribs for the full installation costs.

Ron is a one man show and sells these in his spear time, he a great guy to talk to, but not in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to stray off the topic there,we should probably continue the wingtip discussion in the other thread. As far as the Drawings CD goes I contacted the SWPC store and ordered a set of the CDs. I got them in the mail today and have taken a few looks at them and am fairly impressed with the amount of info. So thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swp cd

I have heard mention of a CD with a lot of information for Short Wings. Where can I get one?

Post Thanks / Like

It has very good information, and requires that you join the Short Wing Piper Club to order them.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn, I was hoping it was available through here.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi MN_flyer1,
    The Short Wing Piper Club CD's are available from Sally Luse
    Phone: (360) 834-6178
    Email: dsluse@iglide.net

Edit: It's the Blueprints I & II that you will probably be most interested in.
    Attached Files Attached Files