Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water in fuel tanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water in fuel tanks!!!

Hey everybody, I had an experience with water in my fuel tanks that I feel is important to share. My Tri-Pacer sat through the rain, T-storms and tornado that affected Sun 'n Fun 2011. At times rain fall was said to be several inches per hour and it came from all directions. After the storms had passed I began sumping my tanks and was amazed at how much water was able to get in there. I use a GATS fuel jar tester and initially got half a jar of water out of each tank. The water level dropped with each subsequent sample until I got none. I then rocked the wings, let it sit for a few hours and sumped more water, I did that several times. Once I was able to sump without getting any water I taxied over to the North side of the airport, shutdown and sumped a little more water. Several hours later I fueled up, let it sit and sumped some more water. I repeated the rocking, sitting, sumping for two days until I was confident I had gotten all the water out of the wings as well as the other sumps. There was a bit of rust on my filler necks so I know that's how the water got in. I have the Univair/Piper style fuel caps (Steve P. please confirm) and they have new gaskets. I have never before gotten any water in my fuel but I also have never exposed my airplane to that kind of weather. I'm sure there was an engine stopping amount of water in those tanks and it took alot of effort to make sure it was gone.

Kevin Bachand
    Leesburg, VA

Post Thanks / Like

your filler necks are probably cracked inside where attached to tank, very common

... install this kit from Atlee
    http://www.fadodge.com/Piper%20fuel%20system.html

Filler Neck Repair Kit
    P/N
    3140-60R - $87.50

Post Thanks / Like

also start pulling drain plug in carb to make sure none makes it into carb, only takes a tiny bit there to make badness

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kevin, Yes you have Univair caps. I had a small amount of water but not much and I have Univair caps as well. Might check the filler necks where they go into the tank. My caps are very tight to turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I'm not familiar with your flanges or caps, but you might also have a look at your cap vents. When the rain started the gas in the tanks cools and contracts and pulls in air from somewhere. If your vents are wet they'll suck in some water. Might as well grasp at a few straws too.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor has one of the last Super Cubs Piper built.

There are "Access Covers" ( 4in x 4in ?) built into the large tank cover.

Hinged at the Leading Edge & provided with vent holes.

They look good & would keep most water away from the filler.

Anyone ever saw these on a Short Wing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen those covers on late model Super Cubs and they are nice. I will see if I have a picture.