Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tiedowns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tie down anchors

I pulled this from a similar thread that was started in June, 2011. Thought it might provide some additional info.
    Just saw this video from Aviation Consumer. It compares three types of tie-down systems; a home brewed system of steel pins, the Storm Force and the AID's (?) systems.
    The steel pin system did not fare well in the test. The Storm Force system fared a little better in the sandy soil, but not up to manufacturers claims. However, by finding a more stable soil, they were able to reach the stated strength. The AID's system fared much better in the sandy soil. Here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuYK_eEQ9c
    Last edited by pa20; 02-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    I pulled this from a similar thread back that was started in June, 2011. Thought it might provide some additional info.
    Just saw this video from Aviation Consumer. It compares three types of tie-down systems; a home brewed system of steel pins, the Storm Force and the AID's (?) systems.
    The steel pin system did not fare well in the test. The Storm Force system fared a little better in the sandy soil, but not up to manufacturers claims. However, by finding a more stable soil, they were able to reach the stated strength. The AID's system fared much better in the sandy soil. Here is the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuYK_eEQ9c
    That's ok Mark. I sometimes don't read the other posts either. It's a good video and worth watching twice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Tie down anchors

Thanks, fellas for you input. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking to hear. I think, for the money, I am going to purchase a set ( and poss another set in the future ) of fly ties.
    Once again, this site has proven to be "priceless", and well-worth-the-while of any shortwing owner.

Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple good threads on BCP with some input from the AK guys. http://www.backcountrypilot.org/foru...php?f=6&t=1815
    I want to try Bill's idea using the flat concrete stakes. Flat would have more resistance than round (similar to the Abe's idea) so one stake per anchor should work if you use the proper angle and offset.

There are a lot of other ideas about tie town for serious winds like making sure the aircraft is into the wind (to prevent negative G on the top of the wing bending the struts), using buildings etc to block wind, elevating the tail (reduce AoA) or leaving slack in the tail tie down (theory of letting the tail come up to reduce AoA), roping the strut and the ring.

The FAA has an AC that is worth reading at least to see where the "official" tie down information comes from.
    http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentID/22573

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, whatever tiedown you use, get high quality rope that is of sufficient load rating. When I tiedown I double wrap the rope around the upper lift strut attach and then thread it through the tiedown ring to keep it from sliding down. The tiedown rings will break if pulled too hard. I want to put a set of Atlee Dodge spar type tiedowns on my airplane. I have seen a lot of airplanes with broken tiedown ropes or tiedown rings attached to the rope with the airplane on its back. Keep in mind that your airplane will fly at gross weight so it can pull that hard on the ropes if the wind really gets going, cheap under rated ropes will break. If it snows I attach chain to the ground fitting so that I can swap ropes out or add extras to tighten them while the wind is blowing without untieing the airplane. These are a geared a little more to my permanent tiedown, but I use fly ties with good rope for temporary, I think that I will buy a set of Abe's tiedowns those look pretty good. If its really windy where you're at I would recommend a set of lift spoilers for the wings. I am always impressed watching my Pacer ride out 50-60 knot winter winds with the lift spoilers, while the cubs are just pulling on their ropes, a definite plus for the shortwing. I fret over the winter winds here with my airplane every year.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, speaking of rope someone brought this up on the other forum that looks very cool. Strong and lightweight. Knots will lessen the 5,000 lb number a bit, but should still be fine for a Pacer.
    Plus you could double up on this 5mm rope and run two independent, equalized ground anchors, like it sounds like Gilbert is doing, and if you were to use Atlee spar points, you could have two independent attachment points on the wing, too. Not only doubling the amount of tie-down, but could cover more angles of pull, too.

http://www.neropes.com/product.aspx?...1&lid=3&pid=66

Also, 1" tubular webbing is pretty strong and light. I picked up 30ft on Amazon and made two lengths which can be tied in a loop with a water knot and girth hitched around stuff to use as rope extensions when you need more length.

I think this is the type of stake that might work well. All it needs is a hole drilled in the top to attach the rope (through a carabiner first).
    You could go 48", 24", or 18" and double them up. Double the wings, and single for the tail? Lot's of options!
    Not sure how heavy they are yet, but I imagine one 18" is about the same as the 3 nails included in the Fly Tie or Claw.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_66243-46086-694931_0__

Estwing 16" axe should work well for hammering them in and is mutlipurpose.

Sorry if TMI or offtopic, I spent way too much time thinking about this last night!

Post Thanks / Like

It not TMI, the Anchorage bowl/Mat-Su valley can see 40,50,80+ knot winds coming in and around the valleys and that'll keep you up all night thinking too. Those neorpes look good, I tried a set of poly-propylene ropes this year and they are OK, but I do not like them in the cold, they get a lot stiffer than I anticipated and are hard to knot in the cold, especially with gloves on. Alaska Wing Covers makes several types of lift spoiler and wing cover combinations. they are a privately owned buisness operating out of their house, and if you leave your airplane outside anywhere that is subject to blow, I can't tell you how great these things are. I have seen some people putting their tail up on something and tying it down, so as to decrease the angle of ataack of the wing, but I prefer to just tie the yokes back so that the elevators are up to force the tail down, My plane faces south, and some of the worst winds in the winter come out of the North so I have plenty of slack so that I can turn around in my spot to face into the wind. Not having a hangar is a major PIA!!!