Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiedowns

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remember that the location of the tie down in the ground to the point on the aircraft is relative to the design. Flie Ties and Claw need to pull straight to work as designed where the angle needs to pull from the side to work correctly. None are perfect but it looks like the Flie Ties have fewer parts to break than the Claw.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread.
    Interesting to hear what worked and what didn't when a real storm hit.
    Peter, I'm happy for your that your "method" worked. Remember, laziness pays off immediately, but hard work doesn't pay off until later.

Ed

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a pretty bad storm at Sentimental Journey a few years ago and a number of aircraft were damaged. I was tied down with three BIG screw anchors( not the doggie ties). They never wiggled. They were screwed in as far as they could possibly go. The ropes went around the strut and then through the ring to keep the ropes from sliding down the strut. ( It was a J-3 and it wasn't insured) A fellow behind me tied around the strut. The rope slid down when the wind moved the plane and his strut was bent in half. The fellow beside me had the "Claw" . This plucked a nice chunk of real estate about the size of a big shovelful out of the ground. I happened to be there checking my bird and grabbed the rope. With the help of 1/2 doz other fellows, we saved the plane. The screws work well,but you have to have substantial ones and get them down into good solid material. Watersoaked topsoil just doesn't do it.
    Larry Huntley

Post Thanks / Like

When dad had his Chief, he had it tied down outside here at the farm and bought some of the auger-type anchors that are about 5' long after he had one of the shorter ones pull out during a wind storm. It got down into the clay and that is as solid as anything. The problem is that they are not very practical for temporary installations.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set off Fly Ties and use them regularly and they work good. Something else I am a firm believer in a set of lift spoilers for the wings. I have some on my winter wing covers and they work great, my airplane sits in Palmer AK and has regularly sat through 70-8-mph wind storms, You can get them w/ mesh covers or just by themselves so they are easy to transport, but they will save your bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Adam, and I am the co-owner of the Storm Force Aircraft Tie Down company. I'd like to give everyone my honest opinion on the 45 vs 90 degree tie down debate. After doing some extensive research on the subject while developing our product we ran across an FAA Advisory Circular regarding the matter. Find the link on our website: http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/Wh...rce_ep_43.html. In the Advisory the FAA clearly states that an aircraft should be tied down using 45 degree angles whenever possible. And actually, when you think of the simple physics of it all, of course tieing down the aircraft using opposing loads (45 degree angles) will provide greater holding strength in both side to side directions. A 90 degree tie down will not provide you with that added side to side tie down force, which in high winds can be very dangerous. In fact, when you think about it, the 45 degree angle even adds much more earth for the tie down spikes to grab on to.

I'd like to extend a $10 off coupon to everyone on this forum in order for you to feel more comfortable about trying our product. All you have to do is visit our website and enter the code SWP001 at checkout. http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/

Thanks to everyone for listening!

Safe flying!

Regards,
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormforcetds View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Adam, and I am the co-owner of the Storm Force Aircraft Tie Down company. I'd like to give everyone my honest opinion on the 45 vs 90 degree tie down debate. After doing some extensive research on the subject while developing our product we ran across an FAA Advisory Circular regarding the matter. Find the link on our website: http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/Wh...rce_ep_43.html. In the Advisory the FAA clearly states that an aircraft should be tied down using 45 degree angles whenever possible. And actually, when you think of the simple physics of it all, of course tieing down the aircraft using opposing loads (45 degree angles) will provide greater holding strength in both side to side directions. A 90 degree tie down will not provide you with that added side to side tie down force, which in high winds can be very dangerous. In fact, when you think about it, the 45 degree angle even adds much more earth for the tie down spikes to grab on to.

I'd like to extend a $10 off coupon to everyone on this forum in order for you to feel more comfortable about trying our product. All you have to do is visit our website and enter the code SWP001 at checkout. http://www.stormforcetiedowns.com/

Thanks to everyone for listening!

Safe flying!

Regards,
    Adam
    Adam,
    I was impressed by the video, and have just ordered a set. Thanks for the discount. I was reticent to give up 9 pounds of useful load, but having spent a couple of nights out in the driving rain at Johnson Creek, concurrently trying to hold the plane and the tent, I thought I would give them a try.
    I can't wait to try them in the ramp pavement at my local airport (like you did in the video), I don't think my airport mgr would mind as it is all in the name of science. right?
    Last edited by pa20; 04-23-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

FYI...I was on another owners group site, and there was a thread about a piece of avionics for sale at a "too good to be true" price. One of the respondents posted information about buying only from a secure site, and a site that has no direct contact info. After reading that, I went to the Storm Force Tie Down site and noticed the following:
    1. Not a secure site. No "https://....." in the URL.
    2. No direct contact information for the company. You may leave them a message, but cannot contact them directly.
    3. This is Adam's (SFTD Co-Owner) first post on our forum.
    Not making any unfounded accusations, just saying I now wish that I had not been so quick to place an order. I will let you know if there is anything amiss.
    I hope that this is all on the "up & up" and lots of people buy and like their product. Adam, care to comment?
    Mark Ohlau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    FYI...I was on another owners group site, and there was a thread about a piece of avionics for sale at a "too good to be true" price. One of the respondents posted information about buying only from a secure site, and a site that has no direct contact info. After reading that, I went to the Storm Force Tie Down site and noticed the following:
    1. Not a secure site. No "https://....." in the URL.
    2. No direct contact information for the company. You may leave them a message, but cannot contact them directly.
    3. This is Adam's (SFTD Co-Owner) first post on our forum.
    Not making any unfounded accusations, just saying I now wish that I had not been so quick to place an order. I will let you know if there is anything amiss.
    I hope that this is all on the "up & up" and lots of people buy and like their product. Adam, care to comment?
    Hi Mark,
    I appreciate your concerns. We do actually have a security certificate for our website. The https does not appear until checkout, which is when you would be entering your credit card info, so all is safe in that regard, but I do understand your concern. As far as our contact info, we may be reached via email and phone. However the phone number is not attended regularly, but we do check messages and do return calls. As far as this being my first post, you are absolutely correct, I actually noticed a large amount of traffic coming to our website from this forum and decided to check it out. I hope I have put your concerns to rest, and like I said I do appreciate your comments. I am here to make our customers feel appreciated and comfortable.

Please feel free to email me directly with any other questions or concerns. adam@stormforcetiedowns.com

By the way, thanks for the order. I hope you enjoy our product!

Regards,
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormforcetds View Post
    Hi Mark,
    I appreciate your concerns. We do actually have a security certificate for our website. The https does not appear until checkout, which is when you would be entering your credit card info, so all is safe in that regard, but I do understand your concern. As far as our contact info, we may be reached via email and phone. However the phone number is not attended regularly, but we do check messages and do return calls. As far as this being my first post, you are absolutely correct, I actually noticed a large amount of traffic coming to our website from this forum and decided to check it out. I hope I have put your concerns to rest, and like I said I do appreciate your comments. I am here to make our customers feel appreciated and comfortable.

Please feel free to email me directly with any other questions or concerns. adam@stormforcetiedowns.com
    By the way, thanks for the order. I hope you enjoy our product!
    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam,
    Thanks for the very prompt response! I have always tried to remember that while there may be ner-do-wells on other aircraft websites, all folks on the SWP's.org site are good eggs.
    I did not notice a phone contact on the site, but I will look again. As far as the secure site goes, I did not notice when I was checking out. I really do apologize to you, Adam.
    Looking forward to checking out your product, and I will certainly post up when I try them out.
    P.S. FYI to any potential customers; I just received the order receipt, and there is complete contact info there. Once again, if I caused any undo negative scrutiny, I do apologize.
    Last edited by pa20; 04-23-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added PS
    Mark Ohlau