Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PA22 fuel dipstick?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Fuel Dipstick

I carry mine on the airplane so it is available when out on XC or short trips
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not quite as exact but here is what I use. 1/4 inch is 5 gallons, every 3/4 inch increase = 2 Gallons
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I marked a wooden dowel adding gas to an empty tank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I marked a wooden dowel adding gas to an empty tank
    Same here, 3/8 wood dowel about 8 inches long, no markings, stick it in the tank and see how wet it is. Each knuckle on my index finger is 1 inch, hold the stick up to my index finger LOL, and use that chart above if I can't remember 1/4 inch is 5, and every 3/4 inch more is 2 gallons

I NEVER take the plane in the air without dipping the tank, no matter what the gauges say, gauges go bad, had them indicate full with an Empty tank before. If you get used to sticking the tank every time you fly it's not hard to remember that 2 gallons for each 3/4 inch on the stick
    Last edited by Tp109; 01-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    have made my own from this acrylic tubing from aircraft spruce, from an empty tank (drained) added in 5 gallon increments at the pump and marked a wooden stick for recording measurements then measured locations for each 5 gallons from the bottom of the wood stick and transferred to the acrylic stick. Used a sharpie to mark the
    acrylic at each location, then took a file and filed a small groove in the measured locations. remarked the locations where i put the grooves with the sharpie. With the groove the sharpie ink does not seen to get wiped off. at each mark I write the number of gallons for that mark. calibration of the wood stick was done holding it vertical to the ground at the aft part of the tank opening with the stick touching tank bottom. Mine is for a tailwheel conversion and has worked well.
    Will find the calibration measurements for tailwheel versions and post.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../acryltube.phpAttachment 11477Attachment 11478
    We had an acrylic tube from another plane and re-marked it using Andy's measurements and it works fine. The sharpie can wipe off but we filed notches at those increments and just have to remark it every once in a while with the sharpie.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel stick calibration (PA-22/20, 7.00X6 tires)

Gallons. Inches. Fuel Hawk
    5.0. .25 .4
    7.5. 1.187. 2.0
    10 2.062. 3.5
    12.5. 3.062. 5.5
    15. 4.25. 7.31
    18. 6.5. 11.4

Here is the Fuel Hawk card. I took a picture and keep it on my iPhone and iPad so I'm never with out it. BTW, the Fuel Stop thingy is a really nice addition to that tube.

1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I have the wood one that came with the plane but carry an old Cessna one that I found (plastic), its reads within about 1/8 inch of my wood one so I carry it in the plane.
    not that it really matters I am fuel nuts, I cannot stand run a tank for more than an hour. I run a timer even when I am just flying in the pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

Just realized I'm gallons OCD, I need them in wholes not halfs LOL, I can look at inches in fraction or decimal but I need gas in wholes
    6.00 x 6 tires 22/21/20

Last edited by Tp109; 01-26-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    Just realized I'm gallons OCD, I need them in wholes not halfs LOL, I can look at inches in fraction or decimal but I need gas in wholes
    My numbers were derived from the graph included with the Fuel Hawk. Just followed their directions, the tank isn't level on a -20 or -22/20 so it isn't a linear relationship. Notice I do not have 18 gallons on my chart because it is 11.4, the chart only uses whole numbers on the stick.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that, I am using an oak dowel with no markings and I eyeball how many inches are wet after dipping, works good enough, and like you say since getting a new ab spring on the back my gallons per inch need rechecked since the new spring raised the tail about two inches