Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PA22 fuel dipstick?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-20 Fuel Tank Dip-Stick

Quote Originally Posted by richdolby View Post
    My apologies - a typo, she's a 1951 build. I have a few more photo's, and a stack of paperwork including her first logbook detailing the very first 30 minute flight... I will post a bio of her soon
    (is there anywhere pertinent on the Forum to post intro's??)
    Was her US Reg. N1502A? Glad to hear that you have all the data! Just make up a new thread in the "Shortwing Saloon" to post the bio. I try to keep track of all the PA-20's as they are becoming fewer in todays world!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have just joined the Forum, and would like to ask if anyone can provide me with the dimensions required to make myself a fuel tank dip-stick for my PA-20 aircraft??

Many thanks in advance,

Rich D.

Attachment 11574
    This
    is one I made for my 22/20. used clear plastic tubing from aircraft spruce (about 1/8" inside diam) . filed small groove for each measurement and marked with magic marker. There are several other posts on this site with similar calibration tables. As you are new you might find some of the things on my site helpful or informative.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...2U4ZTY0ZmQzOTk

site home page
    https://sites.google.com/site/shortwinginfo/home
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've kept her on he original registration; 'N1502A' - it's a bit of a learning curve to run/maintain an aircraft in the UK on the FAA registry, but she's so much paperwork history/provenance with her that it seemed a travesty to put her on to a UK 'G' registration

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've kept her on he original registration; 'N1502A' - it's a bit of a learning curve to run/maintain an aircraft in the UK on the FAA registry, but she's so much paperwork history/provenance with her that it seemed a travesty to put her on to a UK 'G' registration
    My apologies for inciting the thread drift from the topic at hand. I have started another thread in the "Saloon".
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Fuel Dipstick

I did the paint stirrer thing. I started with an empty tank and put a mark after each gallon was added. It takes about 5 gallons before it even registers on my pa22/20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA22 fuel dipstick?

RichDolby - I bought one of these.
    I have not used it yet (aeroplane still scattered all over the workshop) but it's simple, nothing to go wrong and can be calibrated to suit a PA22 when ordered.

http://dipstikfuelgauge.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri-Pacer PA22-150 fuel dipstick

Hey everyone!

So my dad recently purchased a 1955 Tri-pacer PA22-150. We don't have a dipstick to check the fuel quantity in each tank. I was wondering if anyone has a good one they have purchased or an easy home made one. I was thinking of buying this; http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1177 . Does anyone have experience with these universal fuel gauges and how well they work with the Tri-Pacer?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri-Pacer PA22-150 fuel dipstick

I made mine from the information on Andy's website: https://sites.google.com/site/shortw...ns-performance It appears pretty accurate in my Pacer. Not sure how much difference their might be in a tri-pacer since the wings don't slant while on the ground.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a paint mixing stick. Cheap, light and easy to replace if lost. I calibrated mine by making sharpie marks while adding fuel in 5 gal increments. If you have a leaky quick drain that needs replacing, after emptying the tank is a convenient time to do the calibration. The chart above would have worked, but different size tires/tailwheels will affect the reading. Most important part of any dipstick: make sure its long enough (or has a T on top if you want to get fancy) so that it cannot fall into the gas tank.... I didn't figure that part out until after I went fishing with a mirror and flexible-arm grabber tool to retrieve my half length paint stick...
    Last edited by kevbot; 06-28-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with another. Good information in the previous pages of this thread.