Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PA22 fuel dipstick?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA22 fuel dipstick?

Used a wood dowel and marked it every 5 gallons. My PA-20 would hide five gallons in each tank that couldn’t be measured.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a dip stick for my 22/20 and it barely shows at 5 gallons in the tank. I used some sort of plastic or polycarbonate
    tube that came from aircraft spruce. Marked it at each 5 gallons up to 15 gallons with magic marker, then filed a small
    groove at that mark and marked the groove with majic marker again, it stays on pretty good. The previous comment
    of putting some sort of T handle at the top is important so it can't slide into the tank. If it does get into the tank,
    it will cost you a lot of time and frustration getting it out, first hand experience.....trust me

.Dipstick.jpg
    Last edited by andya; 06-30-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I used a wood dowel, too long to fall into the tank. Cut grooves every five gallons, marked it with a magic marker and sprayed it with polyurethane. My Clipper hides five gallons also.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy on a Tri-Pacer, assuming it sits level. Dip a paint stirring stick or similar in a full tank, and mark the top wet spot 18. Divide that in half and mark it 9. Drill 1/8 inch holes to make markings permanent.
    That's all you really need I think. Anything below 9 gallons is considered less than one hour flying, and cautionary for steep climb out, steep turns, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Needed a quick solution, got tired of sticking my finger in and saying "one knuckle low, let's go"

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a picture of my Tri Pacer fuel dipstick made from birch dowels. Each notch is 2 gallons and filled-in with pencil lead instead of marker so fuel doesn’t wash away markings. Spacing of notches obtained from someone else’s empirical data presented on forum here or at the other group’s forum - can’t recall which.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_1151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app