Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual

Where can I find a copy of the Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual? 60294-7-7-13 is the most recent edition. I'm trying to find a pdf version to download just so I can read it. I'm probably a year away from overhauling the engine but I wanted some reading material for breaks while at work.

Thanks, Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Link to a downloadable version in this thread. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ighlight=PJ260

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link "inside the link" that Steve provided: http://pj260.com/Lycoming/Overhaul%2...ls/60294-7.pdf

When the "time comes", Aircraft Spruce sells the Manual, and it comes with a year's (I think) revision update subscription when you send in the registration paperwork inside the new Manual to Lycoming. (I THINK they still do this... at any rate, Lycoming is pretty good about e-mailing you any revisions you don't have to bring that new Manual up to date). You NEED the latest revision, and the Manual requires certain SB's, et c by "inclusion".

Post Thanks / Like

So, when I do get around to rebuilding this engine I have to purchase the manual and have latest revisions? I was hoping to read this, decide to do it or not, and if i do rebuild to use my IA to sign off and hope that she has the latest manual. (I have only 808 hours on this engine but it looks like crap)

I'm sure when the time comes I will have many more questions. After I read this over I should have a better idea of where to start when it comes to figuring out a plan and cost to rebuild. Paying a shop $15k+ is out of the question. Already this restoration is running up a tab quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would try and find a mechanic that has done this before and allow you to help. The manual is not cut and dry and the SIs and SBs are a must.

Post Thanks / Like

"Already this restoration is running up a tab quickly."

Tim - you are discovering what "might as well" means. (While I have it apart I might as well!!!!)

I have had to draw a line in the sand and say "enough" or I will have to go back to work to cover the costs. (BACK TO WORK! - Arrrrh! wash your mouth out with soap man!)

Post Thanks / Like

Curly,

My nature is not one to draw a line. I have always been one to say, I'm here now, why not make it better. This project may be the one that teaches me how to over look some things. The biggest thing I would like to solve with this motor is the constant oil loss above 5.5 quarts. If you put in more it will blow the excess off and settle at 5.5. It is always wet with oil which then bleeds out the cowling. I will be one upset guy when I see oil messing up the paint job I'm going to give this old bird.

The engine was last overhauled in 1965 and since then it has 808 hours. Not much. Compressions were all 76-78 last year and that was before I put 50 hours on it. Climb out is by the book. Take off run is by the book. Speed is a little low but she was out of rig. All signs point to a good motor but if I've got it apart to fix oil leaks why not just send the parts off and do an overhaul? This is the biggest thing weighing on my mind as I keep plugging away at this fuselage.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh Tim, your starting to sound like me talking to myself.

I am facing the same decision - Patsy's 0320 has only done 450 hours since O/H (but that was done many years ago) but has to be split to replace a bent crankshaft.

Sooooo - do I just whack a new shaft in it and go fly or strip, paint, replace baffles, replace bearings, rings, seals - whatever is needed.

The oil pump is just one thing that will have to be done if I have it split, so "I may as well" rebuild the engine back to O time.

"May as well" won the argument - perhaps I had better go back to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Curly, I hope you post your progress. I will be interested in the route you take. Who you use for the machine work, if you make your own baffles or buy new, literally everything. I'm going to be right behind you in a year or so. Wish you weren't on the other side of the world or I'd come by and give you a hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual

The links in this old thread aren't valid anymore, and the latest revision of 60294 appears to be 60294-7-14 as per S.I. L114 02/16/17.
    Does anyone have a valid link to the latest revision of the overhaul manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk