Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Window sealent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Window sealent

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Amen to Johnw's feeling about silicone. Detroit loves it because they can squirt it on in place of proper gaskets. It has no place in an airplane.
    Just to add a comment, silicone is extremely corrosive and paint doesn't play well with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Never heard silicone was corrosive, but.....
    https://www.allmetalsfab.com/galvanic-reaction-caulk/

Silicone, in my experience, sticks best on the things you need to remove it from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_mn View Post
    What do folks use to seal the window? Do you use a foam tape or silicon sealant? Its not at all clear what I should use.
    If You are interested, here You can find a detailed report of my restoration work on a Wassmer 51A.

http://www.drgaida.de/DEHJV/EHJV.pdf

The Windows - replacing process starts from page 173. I used APP - PU 50 to seal the windows.

IMG_7068.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I guess I am only one who uses no window sealant and has no window leaks.

The windshield bottom fairing is designed such that when the inner and outer piece are properly installed no water runsi in the bottom. The only possible entry point would be around the screws. I installed nut plates and have seen seepage around them.

I remade the fabric support trim strip at the top of the windshield to it make wider where it overlaps the top of the windshield. This allows it to shed water down the windshield when the aircraft is parked in the rain.

I'm with you on this. All I have is the 3M rope sealant between the window and frame......No Leaks, and looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think we are talking about the same thing............ 3M 08575 "Strip Caulk"