Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lycomimg flywheel needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycomimg flywheel needed

smcnutt

I don't think I would even consider putting either of these parts back on............... hard to tell what you have from here. The gear shouldn't even start on the flywheel from my experiences. Never had one come off before, just changed them from wear. I have always used the torch method but I'm sure some shop that does this on a regular basis probly uses an oven.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

could be a broken ring gear, crack, that is opening up. Why bother trying to figure this out. Many good minds have said get rid of it, I would. Last thing you want is something flopping around at that speed behind a prop. Get a new one and be done with it. Sell the old for scrap value or less, your plane and your life will thank you for it.

Post Thanks / Like

when I worked at the engine shop we stuck the flywheel in the freezer( use your deep freezer) and the ring gear in the cylinder oven(don't use your wife's-lol)
    as southern aero says- the torch method works well.
    shhh..... but i also used a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool off the flywheel-A little bushleague but it worked as we where in the "middle of nowhere" and had to use what we had......

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to get a replacement flywheel and ring gear as I just can't trust either of the old parts. If we were talking a $5k part we might be thinking differently but at this price, it's a no-brainer.

However, the mystery of why this failed (or what actually failed) in the first place doesn't have an answer. Without a definitive answer there's still the concern it could happen again. We're 98% certain that a replacement flywheel/ring gear will make this issue go away forever. It's the 2% that bothers me but I can live with it if I have to. It's just VERY strange.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

ok. good to hear that a replacement is in the works. measure the items and compair to drawings or another one. the timing of the ring gear and bendix from the starter are important. index everything then see if a missailngement is in the starter bendix or the ring gear. even with a missailignment the teeth should have taken the wear and not spun the ring gear. you never know if a person skimmed the fly wheel in a lathe to make it easier to install the ring gear. the previous should not be done but you never know. must measure to know for sure. the ring gear could be cracked as well. sometimes a crack is hard to see. good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, i need the entire fly wheel for an O-320-A2B not sure how many tooth but pretty sure P/N68867 for a PA-20

Thanks
    Bob Nicholson 801-710-4712