Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-22-150 for sale $14,000

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22-150 for sale $14,000

Hi everyone,

I'd like to sell my airplane. It is a 1958 Piper PA-22-150 Tri-Pacer. I have owned the airplane for about 2 years, and I used it to get my private pilot's license in April of 2010. I have put about 100 hours on it in the 2 years that I have owned it.

The airplane has slightly more than 2900 hours total time. I am still flying the plane regularly, so the times are increasing.

The engine has just over 2000 hours since major overhaul, so it is past TBO and "on condition," but last year I had some major work done on the engine so it is in very good condition. The work was done by a local aircraft engine shop. The cases were split and the crank was inspected and found to be serviceable. New main bearings were installed. The camshaft was inspected and found to be showing signs of wear, so a reground camshaft and new cam bearings were installed. The lifters were overhauled. Four re-machined Millenium cylinders were installed. The cylinders were used and had about 600 hours on them, but I believe they were bored out and had new valves and guides instaled. New pistons, rings and gaskets were installed. A spin-on oil filter was installed and the oil pump AD was completed. The mags were overhauled.

Unfortunately, all of this work still wasn't considered a major overhaul, so the engine wasn't zero timed. I was already over budget on the engine repairs and didn't have the money required to have the engine zero timed. So the engine is still "on condition" and past TBO but it is in great shape. Compressions were all in the mid 70's/80 at the last annual.

The fabric is old, I believe the plane was re-covered in the early 70's so the fabric is getting close to 40 years old. The fabric is Ceconite with a base coat of nitrate dope and a top coat of butyrate dope as per the Ceconite STC. The finish is faded and cracking in some places but my mechanic says the fabric underneath is still sound and airworthy. He has brushed some silver on the places where the finish is cracking to protect the fabric underneath from UV damage.

The radio is an ICOM A-200 that is about 7 years old and works well. It has an older King transponder, but I have never used it and I don't think it even works. It has a portable 2 place intercom that could be expanded to a 4 place model.

The only known damage history was done by me. In 2009, I was pushing the airplane back into the hangar on rough ground and pushed it into a post, damaging the elevator. The elevator was repaired by a local mechanic who is knowledgeable on tube and fabric airplanes. The repair was properly documented in the log book.

The airplane has been hangared since I have owned it, but based on the appearance of the paint, I suspect it has spent a good portion of its past life outside.

The logs are complete back to when the plane was purchased from Piper in 1958. The airplane was originally from the US but was imported to Canada in 1976.

The plane doesn't have the sealed struts, but I had the struts ultrasonically tested and they were found to be serviceable and have good wall thickness, so they shouldn't need to be replaced anytime soon.

The plane is currently in annual, the most recent annual inspection was done in March of 2011. All of the AD's are complied with including SB-819 for corrosion in the tubing around the doors. The airplane is certified, but it is eligible for the owner maintenance category in Canada, so it could easily be converted to owner maintenance category.

The airplane flies well, it cruises at about 115 mph and burns about 8 gph. It has a Mogas STC and I have burned Mogas in it occasionally, but most of the time it runs on 100LL avgas. I would estimate that

The only known snags are:
    - I don't think the transponder works.
    - The EGT gauge doesn't work (bad probe.)
    - The CHT gauge doesn't work (bad probe.)
    - The lever on the pilot's seat to adjust the seat forwards and backwards is broken. It looks like it just needs to have a hole re-drilled in it for the cotter pin.

Other than that, everything works on this plane.

I have two reasons for selling it:
    1) I need the money. I have had some legal issues come up and I need the cash.
    2) I know that this plane will need to be re-covered and will need a major overhaul at some point in the next few years, and I don't have the time or the money to do that job properly. I realize that this plane is basically a flying restoration project and I don't have the resources to restore it properly

I have already reduced the price, if it doesn't sell at this price, I will continue to reduce the price until it sells. If it doesn't sell relatively quickly, I may even list the plane on ebay, and let it go to the highest bidder. What I am saying is I am open to offers.

The plane is located at the Red Deer Regional Airport (CYQF) near Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. I would consider delivering the airplane to the buyer, if the buyer covers the expenses.

I can be reached by email at rengler@live.ca or by phone at (403)896-0551. I would prefer these methods of communication over private message.

Thanks,
    Randy Engler

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have her priced reasonably there Randy. I'm just not in the market right now, not to mention a couple-thousand miles of real estate. The market is slow right now, but if you can wait for the right buyer you should get what you are asking for her.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Sold it, the guy came and picked it up today.

Post Thanks / Like

and why isnt that a major overhaul? its not zero timed but it doesnt have to be it sounds like its a major overhaul to me

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jay
    Me thinks that the Canadian Air Regs Are a little different than US regs
    Randy performed a repair to his engine not an overhaul
    In reading his Post he did not get his engine parts NDT'ed, the crank, case and parts where not inspected to see if it's in specs. Needs new exhaust valves,harness,plugs and all accessories needs to be o/h. Probably missed something else Lycoming spec"d
    however the guy who bought Randy's airplane got a good deal- he can run that engine" on condition" indefinitely. there is a flight school here in red deer that gets close to 4000 hours on his 0-320- H2AD engines.
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Sold it, the guy came and picked it up today.
    Lucky guy!

Post Thanks / Like

In the USA the regs say only a engine shop can actually "overhaul" an engine the rest of us can only "repair" them. look in the definations section of the regs.

Post Thanks / Like

Then whats a Field Overhaul?