Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tri Pacer elevator rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri Pacer elevator rigging

Well yes, I would not have posted an incorrect drawing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noyrt View Post
    The adapter I am referring to is the part that travels up/down on the jack screw and is bolted to the leading edge of stabilizer! The parts book calls it a "yoke assembly". If by chance this were replaced with a part from a cub or some other aircraft it could possibly be limiting stabilizer up/down movement? I've seen a lot of improvised crap over the years.
    The jackscrew and yoke is the same for all of the Piper models. Do you have the trim cable part numbers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elevator rigging issue and need experienced help

I have been trying to rig the elevators on my PA-22/20 and am having serious issues.
    I can only get the 24 up and ~12 down by having the turnbuckles way off of what they should be. I don't know if this indicates the cables are swapped or they are simply the wrong cables or I am doing something seriously wrong.
    The aircraft has been leveled with the stabilizer at 0 degrees.
    I can only get about 11 degrees down before it hits the tube in the tail (I assume this is the stop)
    I can get the up elevator to 24 degrees but in order to do so the turnbuckle (they are at the bellcrank end) for the down elevator (top of the bellcrank) has to have 8 - 10 threads showing on each side and the turnbuckle at the bottom of the bellcrank (for the up elevator) has to be turned so the threads are about 4 threads on each side inside the turnbuckle.
    The pushrod from the control column to the bellcrank is as short as possible.
    They seem to be routed correctly, which makes me think they are either swapped or the wrong cables. I am hoping someone has experience with this. It just seems strange to me as I believe the longer cable goes from the upper elevator horn to the lower end of the bellcrank, and this seems to be a cable which is too long.
    Of course I could be all mixed up on this. I didn't install them and the person who did died which is how I got the airplane. It hasn't flown since 1985.

How difficult is it to route new cables from Univair? Do the cable ends fit through the guides?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Elevator rigging issue and need experienced help

You are adjusting the turn buckles in the rail?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Elevator rigging issue and need experienced help

The turnbuckles, normally in the tail are Instead at the bellcrank end. Would this significantly affect the adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with an old one on the same subject. Hope some of the posted information will help. Having been down this road I understand your frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, I looked at the previous posts earlier but they didn't seem to answer my question. In one post Gilbert says the upper cable is shorter then the lower cable. Is this correct? In my notes I have the cables as the up elevator one 40123-67 (attached to upper elevator horn and bottom of bellcrank) as 144 1/4 (according to the drawings) with the down elevator one as 40123-68 (attached to bottom of elevator horn and top of bellcrank) as 143 3/8. Have I misread this on the drawings? I really don't want to remove the cables and return them in the same positions so a little clarity is needed. Any suggestions on how to determine if they are correct or should I bite the bullet and get my big butt into the tail and remove them? Also, can they be removed without disturbing the trim cables?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trim cables are not effected by the elevator cables. Had a home made cable that had us scratching our head for a while. Piper cables have a single wedge. We disconnect at the elevator, I don't remember any crawling into the tail.

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming that to get the old cables out I will have to disassemble the fairleads and remove the pulleys so the cables will fit through so I will have to get in the back of the plane. My basic question though, are these symptoms indicative of swapped cables, when you have seen them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi RR,

....."get my big butt into the tail and remove them?"

Before you go that far, run a string along the route, mark the holes locations, then pull it through and measure how long it is.