Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri Pacer elevator rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri Pacer elevator rigging

Ok Thanks, I also found the call out on the fuselage assembly drawing, was overlooking it. Also using a calibrated digital SMART level the stab travel meets TCDS in both directions, good. Elevator primary down stop checks good with down cable disconnected. Gave up early today to watch football, plan is to reconnect down cable less bungee spring and see if I can get elevator to contact primary stops. If not then check cable lengths.

Allycat

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA 22 Stab/Elevator Rigging Questions

I know this topic has be asked, but I have searched this site, and still to not find direct answers to my questions.
    I am A&P but not able to locate maintenance manuals or rigging manuals for this aircraft. I have rigged many aircraft, but never this one... PA 22 Tri-Pacer

During inspection I found upper and lower adapter plates incorrectly installed to the elevator horn, Incorrect hardware, and the Upper cable turnbuckle damaged !
    I replaced the upper elevator cable and turnbuckle after correcting the installation of two steel plates. Yes, i got the correct turnbuckle fork also for the turnbuckles.

The TCDS for this aircraft shows: Stabilizer travel to be 1° up and 6.5° down (total of 7.5° full travel)
    Elevator travel to be 24° up and 12° down .... ok

Here is what I have now with this aircraft.....

With the elevator cables disconnected, the elevator will travel the full distance up/down and contact both the up and down stops.... no problem.

When the stab trim is operated (full up to full down) I only get 5.8° of total travel. So that is wrong to begin with? Could and incorrect adapter be installed on the jackscrew?

With the aircraft level, and the stab trimmed level, I have .8° of up travel remaining... (so it is close to 1°)
    Also with the stab in the neutral position, the lower trim spring and cable is very tight and pulls the elevator fully nose down? Is this correct? You must move the stabilizer trim to nearly the center position before the elevator is centered and relaxed to the stabilizer.

**So my first question is concerning the two small cables and the springs.. What is the correct factory length for the upper and lower trim cables and springs installed between stab trim and the elevator horn? Also should this system be pulling the elevator full down when the stab is trimmed to the neutral position (approx 1° down from full up travel)

Second when the elevator cables are connected, adjusted, and properly tension (30-35 lbs) I still do not get correct full travel of the elevator. I can only get 22° up / 10.5° down travel of the elevator. It always contacts the secondary stops under the panel before I contact the primary stops in the tail? I have verified the fwd and aft horns to be centered and adjusted the push rod under the forward floor. I can affect the ratio, more up / less down ect.. but when all is centered it will not achieve full travel per the TCDS at any adjustment?

** So my second question ... has anyone else found this to be a problem ? I don't see any solution unless it had a larger forward bellcrank or a smaller aft bellcrank? I can't believe those are not the original parts? It doesn't seem possible to achieve those travels in the current configuration. Is the TCDS wrong?

In closing, my biggest concern are the two springs and small cables that connect the elevator to the stab trim. I need to know the correct length of the upper and lower cables. They could be very dangerous if incorrectly installed. Also need to know if pulling the elevator to full down when trimmed to neutral is a normal thing on these planes? I can't imagine taking off with stab trim neutral and the yoke crammed fwd into the panel. That just can't be right.

Any help appreciated,
    Thank you, Noyrt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA 22 Stab/Elevator Rigging Questions

Google is your friend

https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SM021.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you don’t already have it you need the Short Wing Piper Drawing CD. It has all the drawings you need to identify your elevator bungee springs plus a whole lot more.
    https://shortwingpiperclub.org/swpc-...r-drawings-cd/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When the stab trim is operated (full up to full down) I only get 5.8° of total travel. So that is wrong to begin with? Could and incorrect adapter be installed on the jackscrew?
    Not sure what adapter you are referring to. Drawing CD is very helpfull in these situations with cable lengths and assembly drawings.

Post Thanks / Like

Ref: https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SM021.pdf

Yes, I had already found that document , but it talks about aileron/rudder adjustments, and does not address any of my questions! Did you read it?
    Further this plane is not leaving the ground until i am 100% sure this elevator system is correct.
    Last edited by Noyrt; 10-08-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Not sure what adapter you are referring to. Drawing CD is very helpfull in these situations with cable lengths and assembly drawings.
    The adapter I am referring to is the part that travels up/down on the jack screw and is bolted to the leading edge of stabilizer! The parts book calls it a "yoke assembly". If by chance this were replaced with a part from a cub or some other aircraft it could possibly be limiting stabilizer up/down movement? I've seen a lot of improvised crap over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If you don’t already have it you need the Short Wing Piper Drawing CD. It has all the drawings you need to identify your elevator bungee springs plus a whole lot more.
    https://shortwingpiperclub.org/swpc-...r-drawings-cd/
    I ordered the CD, however if you have this information, could you simply give me the the answers to the questions on the cable lengths so I can work on the plane today, and not have to wait another week for something else to arrive. I have a very angry customer, since I have grounded his plane for many weeks now already. I just need cable lengths for the upper and lower elevator bungee and spring assembly, so I will know if the correct parts are installed , and in the correct positions. Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

Your trim Yoke coud be mounted upside down or the front stasbilzer bar coluld be attached to below yoke attach ears instead of lbelow it.
    The Univcair catalog list the Upper bungee cable 22-3/16" and the lower cable 20-1/2".
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-08-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Your trim Yoke coud be mounted upside down or the front stasbilzer bar coluld be attached to below yoke attach ears instead of lbelow it.
    Yes, this is how the yoke is installed on this aircraft. Exactly like this drawing. "Is this drawing the correct installation?"