Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-16 O-235 to O-320 conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy PA-16 O-235 to O-320 conversion

Hello;
    Faced with the possibility of having to rebuilt an O-235 ENG on a PA-16, what would it intail to install an O-320 instead?
    can I use the same accesories(carb/Mags/Alt/ mufler)?
    Do I need to install the R wing fuel tank?
    where do I get the STC?
    thanks in advance..............

Post Thanks / Like

You can use everything but the Carb and Prop. Engine mount also is the same.

Stewarts Systems has the only STC to put an O-320 on a Clipper. http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx

I flew my O-320 Clipper without the right wing tank for a while. It works better with the nose tank gone and the right wing tank as the O-320 will burn more fuel. With the nose tank and no right wing tank my CG was still in limits with the O-320. The right wing tank may be required as part of the STC I don't know. My conversion was done prior to STC and was done on a field approval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugo2214 View Post
    Hello;
    Faced with the possibility of having to rebuilt an O-235 ENG on a PA-16, what would it intail to install an O-320 instead?
    can I use the same accesories(carb/Mags/Alt/ mufler)?
    Do I need to install the R wing fuel tank?
    where do I get the STC?
    thanks in advance..............
    Why do you think you have to rebuild your O-235?

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Harper,
    during annual we found a crack in the crank shaft, (Still waiting to verify thru NDI) on the ring gear / prop attachment point from the frin gear threaded bolt hole to the adjacent alighting hole...............;

Thanks Mr Price for your reply....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The right wing tank is part of the Stewart's STC. Cedric Abbot from Maine also has an STC he got from the old Frietag one time STC. I will get his contact information. The O-320 does use different baffles as well. It makes an awesome airplane out of an already great one. I might have a line on an O-235-C1 crankshaft if you decide to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

With gas prices where they are and where they appear to be going, I might stay with the O-235, since the trip to the O-320 will cost $10 to $20 thousand (used vs overhaul)..... Buy an Aeromatic Prop for performance.
    How many hours/years on your engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Couple thoughts here:

There may be other options on a conversion.

I was the caretaker of N5855H about 35 years ago.

It had been upgraded first to a O-290 & then to a O-320.

New Instrument Panel , Rt wing tank & all parts ( cowling) fwd of the Firewall were PA-22.

Memory says this was per a Horton STC.

While not active ; it's possible a Field Approval may be granted using this a Previously Approved Data.

Yes ; it DID perform!

TO was more of a LAUNCH!

Top Speed was near 140 MPH.

Unfortunately; Vne was 140.

Limits such as Vne & Max Gross were not changed by the conversion.

Best to research before buying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Earl Horton got a one time STC back in the 1960s. i have all that paperwork and started an STC using his flight testing etc. as Cedric did. I figured it was not worth the effort since there were just over 700 Clippers built and the Stewarts had an STC. Funny story when I talked to the Aircraft Certification Office of the FAA. They said I needed to talk to a Designated Engineering Representative that new old airplanes. They gave me a name and number. I called and it turned out he was the FAA engineer that approved the original one time STC for Earl in the 1960s. He helped me get the multi use paperwork in order. It's a small world in aviation.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome advise from all; This clipper has the 1949 eng with a MOH in 1968 and TT 0f 3700 aprox. and 1700 since MOH, ACFT logs were lost during Andrews in FL but all ENG llogs survived. Im very inclined on keeping the O-235, fuel and total cost of the upgrade considered so yes, the contact info on the 235 crank shaft would be appreciated. the inspection kit arrived today, we'll tackle the test on WED.

thanks all, keep the info comming............

Post Thanks / Like

I just talked to my engine mentor Herb Giber about O-235 Cranks. The engine has been around since about 1940 and yet there are only three basic types. The old ones had a Lycoming prop bolt circle and sludge tubes which are tricky to install correctly, and need to be removed and re-installed to check for sludge. Then there is one that have just a Lycoming prop bolt circle and no sludge tubes. Finally, there is the latest one that has both Continental and Lycoming prop bolt circles, which can be changed one for another by moving the bushings.