Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter on the O-235-C1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Dusty, I think you are on to something. I looked at the parts manual http://pj260.com/Lycoming/Parts Catalogs/PC-302.pdf and see what you are talking about. Totally different that the O-320. Looks like you might have found the problem.
    bill at stodards had showed me something like that one time I was in there....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zalto View Post
    Steve, I don't have the engine manual with me now, but there were two exploded views of the O-235 accessory housing. With the oil filter there is a special "spacer" that looks like a gasket in the picture. One of the holes in it is drilled small to restrict oil to the accessory case.

With the pressure housing, the gasket has a small restriction hole that restricts oil flow into the accessory case. Last
    Annual this gasket was replaced with a regular gasket without the restrictor hole. My oil pressure would not exceed
    60 psi and fell below the yellow arc at idle. 4 washers in the regulator brought my max pressure back up to 80 but my idle pressure was still below specs.

After much research, I finally figured it out. Replaced the pressure housing gasket with the correct part, removed the 4 washers from the regulator and now everything is fine.

During research i also found that some people have ommitted that "spacer" on the filtered engines during overhaul that resulted in similar problems.

I hope it is this simple. I know i was relieved because my engine is low time also.

Dusty

Thanks, Dusty.

I will call the engine man this week and see what he says.

Currently, when I crank and oil temp below 140, the psi spikes to 95 and will stays there till the oil temp goes up past 140. At that point it comes down as temp goes up. When it gets to 215 , the psi is down to 65, 220 down to 60, 225 down to 55. It is getting cooler now and that's as hot as it gets so far. Going to put a couple of strips of tape over the nose air intake to restrict cooling air and try once around the pattern to see if I can get the temp a little higher and see if the pressure continues to drop with the increased heat.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering why you want your oil temp so hi. I run around 180 and on a hot day maybe 210 max.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry E View Post
    Just wondering why you want your oil temp so hi. I run around 180 and on a hot day maybe 210 max.
    Terry
    It's not that I want my oil temp so high, cooler is better. If I could get mine to run at 210 all the time, I would be very happy. But I don't have an oil cooler on my O235 and in the hot summer, sometimes the oil temp goes up to 225 maybe on a scorcher 230. That is still in the green oil temp. As it is now, at 230 temp the oil pressure is down to 50 to 55. 60 is the bottom of the green line. Don't want to cruise 2 or 3 hours at full power with 50 psi next summer.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone, for all your help and special thanks to Steve Pierce and Dusty. I called the over hall guy and they found the oil filter adapter in a box of parts left over. They are sending it down and should get installed this week.

If it wasn't for this great forum and fine people that read it, It would probably have taken weeks to figure out the problem.

Thanks again, everyone.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news. Hopefully they will send down all of the spare parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colt Oil Filter (0-235-C1B)

Comrades, I bought the Casper Labs oil filter adaptor for my Colt. However, in addition to the AN909-16 plug, the install instructions say that the 0-235 engines also need a LYC LW-12999 orifice plate due to some oil supply problems with the filter.
    These are avail from Casper Labs, but not included in the kit. Does anyone have experience with this? (Steve P?)
    Thanks......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Colt Oil Filter (0-235-C1B)

Post Thanks / Like

The oil filter adapter that hooks on to the gearbox is usually designed to fit different size engines with the same adapter. Kinda cuts their cost by only having to manufacture one part.

The orifice plates are diaphragms (or gaskets) that fit between the adapter and the gearbox. These orifice plates have different size holes that regulate the amount of oil that moves between the external filter and the motor. Big Eng, Big hole, little Eng, little hole, etc.

After a couple years if you put a 150 hp Eng on your Colt, you could move the Oil filter system to it just by getting the correct size Orifice Plate for the 150 Eng.

At-least that's what the Eng overhaul guy told me when he lost my orifice plate during overhaul and had to get another

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks much guys. I will call Casper Labs today and order the additional adaptor - they sell their STC version for half
    of what Lycoming sells it for. Appreciate the quick response - this forum is great.

Kelliots
    '61 Colt