Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter on the O-235-C1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oil Filter Adapter on the O-235-C1

Spruce doesn't carry the extras like the orifice plate I don't think. The adapter, orifice plate, vernatherm plug and the special oil temperature adapter if you are using your original oil temperature gauge.Might get a couple of extra gaskets while you are at it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

The phone number is in this thread. Call Bill at Casper Labs. He will ask for pictures to make sure it will fit and make sure you have the appropriate pieces parts.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ht=casper+labs

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,
    I have the oil filter adapter from casper labs which will go on a 235-C1 in my Clipper.
    It has the older oil temp probe and no oil cooler.
    From here above I understand that I need an adaptor so the old probe will fit into the filter adaptor? does anyone have the part nr or a link for that one?
    and also, am I going to need an special plate between the filter adaptor and the engine?
    I´m also going to need that plug because I dont have a vernatherm valve.
    I would like to order those parts from Casper Labs, but I cant find a website or anything for that company..?

Regards from Iceland,
    Elfar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have the oil filter adapter from casper labs which will go on a 235-C1 in my Clipper.
    It has the older oil temp probe and no oil cooler.
    From here above I understand that I need an adaptor so the old probe will fit into the filter adaptor? does anyone have the part nr or a link for that one?
    and also, am I going to need an special plate between the filter adaptor and the engine?
    I´m also going to need that plug because I dont have a vernatherm valve.
    I would like to order those parts from Casper Labs, but I cant find a website or anything for that company..?

Regards from Iceland,
    Elfar.
    Hi Elfar,

I installed one of these on my Colt several years ago. Yes you will need an adapter for the temperature, a plug for the vernatherm hole and a "special plate" between the adapter and he accessory case. I called Casper Labs and talked to Bill Ryan. He was very knowledgeable and was able to provide all of these components. He also asked me to send him some pictures so that he could point out any potential problems with installing it on my airplane.

I can't find the number I used, but Google provided this:
    Casper Labs
    Phone: (561) 306-4615
    Web: www.casperlabs.com

• Name: William Ryan
      Job Title: Principal

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome Elfar. I agree with what Dean posted, same contact info I have. he is very knowledgeable and will get you everything you need.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, but is this company also making mattresses? seems like that from the link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    thanks, but is this company also making mattresses? seems like that from the link
    It's a small company. Maybe they gave up on maintaining a website and someone else grabbed he name?

Post Thanks / Like

See my previous post on this installation. Plug is AN 909-16. Also need the LYC LW-12999 orifice plate (required for correct installation other wise you will not have correct oil pressure reading). Call the guy at Casper, he has a wealth of knowledge. As I recall he also makes the orifice plate himself for a lower price than the Lycoming plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Another point I remember is that you need to install the adaptor and plate dry (no gasket sealant) when doing the installation. I talked to Bill at Casper before I did mine and he gave me all this information. Its a great kit he sends with good instructions. I have had no problems with mine for 4 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a short wing but do fly a PA-11 with an O235, so this may help someone in the future searching for similar information:

You absolutely want that plate sandwiched between the adapter and the case on the O235. The point of the plate is to meter the amount of oil pressure to the accessory case idler gear (fuel pump), and without it you will be chasing low oil pressure problems all over the place (especially at low idle). The lycoming plate is similar, and I wish I had known there was a cheaper part available to solve the same problem.

(keywords for future Google searching: lycoming o235 low oil pressure, low idle oil pressure, lycoming LW-12999)