Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Culver Cadet / Franklin engine experts?

Post Thanks / Like

What a distraction this was today. After a few hours on the phone with a few different people discussing Culver Cadets and Franklin engines, I think I'm getting closer.
    Brett, we may need to talk

Post Thanks / Like

OK, deposit is being mailed.

Is anyone here in the Nampa, ID area? I'm looking for a recommendation antique/wood pre-purchase inspection?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe if you get it bought and are flying it home i have a place for you to stay and a hanger to put it in over night KCDR

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd View Post
    Hi Joe if you get it bought and are flying it home i have a place for you to stay and a hanger to put it in over night KCDR

Doug
    Thank you for the invite, that is appreciated. If all goes as planned this should happen sometime in January.
    I've been studying the options today in preparation and am considering more southern (lower altitude) route. Plus, with winter weather, I figure heading south should bring favorable temperatures to my thin blood.
    Open to suggestions from all, I'd love to plan this return trip home with some great stops along the way! So if anyone is bored it's KMAN -> 8GA9

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Go east to Burley (of course) then south down to Salt Lake City area and south from there to Carbon County, Green River, Canyon Lands. Cathy and I brought a Super Cub back from Idaho along that route in early summer. Not sure in Jan. but hanger and apartment in Graham anytime plus the seminar is 3rd week in Feb if you want to meet some more folks with the same affliction.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out my web at woodysculverrebuild.com This plane was complete with very little damage. So far we have changed wheels/brakes as the Hays had bladders for brakes. It was a safety issue. Since they are certified and no longer in production, some items may be substituted as per an A&P. It has a Franklin 90 that appears to be a good core (65 to 90 hp has the same crank) Will be glad to help with anything I know or have run into.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oowiee View Post
    You might want to check out my web at woodysculverrebuild.com This plane was complete with very little damage. So far we have changed wheels/brakes as the Hays had bladders for brakes. It was a safety issue. Since they are certified and no longer in production, some items may be substituted as per an A&P. It has a Franklin 90 that appears to be a good core (65 to 90 hp has the same crank) Will be glad to help with anything I know or have run into.
    Hi oowlee,
    Welcome to shortwingpipers.org!
    Thank you for taking the time to share your Culver rebuild online, I have been to your website many times during this 'pre-buy/research' period and it has been helpful.
    I will update again in a few days when I receive feedback on the inspection.
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Culver

Joe,
    One thing to look for on inspection is at the root of the wing. Rain and moisture gets in there and affects the spar which is about the size of the Stearman. I did not have to but we cut out a small place about one inch deep on top of the spar which is in the pictures. New spar wood put in then skinned over with plywood.
    It is a tight little plane being only 36 inches wide. You may call me if you like for info on cost etc. 501-362-5354 Woody

Post Thanks / Like

The inspection went well, just need to bring it home now. Hoping for some good weather in January!

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a beautiful red and white Culver Cadet last week. I paid about $15.00 for it and hung it on my Christmas tree. It is this year's Hallmark airplane ornament. Very nicely done but probably not worth what I paid for it. http://content.hallmark.com//keepsak.../qx8857_XL.jpg

culver.jpg
    Last edited by Quietwater; 12-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.