Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguisher - Where to put it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire extinguisher - Where to put it?

Our Tripacer is about to go back into service from major overhaul and I was thinking it may be a good idea to add a small fire extinguisher to the cabin. As I am sure these were not original equipment in 1954, just wondering what has worked best for those of you who have added one and what mounting location would be best in this bird to keep it out of the way yet easily accessible. Thanks in advance! Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Ours had a simple spring steel bracket on the diagonal tubing underneath of the copilot's seat. The clamp just fits around the neck of the extinguisher. It gets knocked out of its holder every now and then by passengers but it is definitely accessible.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on the back floor, been there since first flight after rebuild 2 years ago. I forgot it was there and it's powder type but thought it was a good idea at the time. Should get a proper type and mount it but where? Good question. Hat shelf not good, couldn't reach it and in an accident could become a projectile. I'm curios if others even carry one and where also?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wrestling with the decision to put one in or not. I would be curious to hear from people that have used one that is located in the plane.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a halon type on the tube structure under the front of the copilot's seat. Had a fire in the engine compartment on the ground a few years back, and the extinguisher worked really well.
    I'd avoid a powder type like the plague. Having used one on a car fire, they get the fire out well, but the powder would fill the cabin and your lungs (a mask is essential). Even then, the dust would adhere to everything, including the inside of all the windows. The cleanup of the heat affected residue, and all the fine dust, is almost impossible and your radios would most probably be scrap. I would imagine that there would be a corrosion risk from the powder you can't get out.

Post Thanks / Like

OK next question, approval. Log book entry IAW FAA AC 20-42D or 337?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.h3raviation.com

I would certainly hope a log book entry under AC20-42D would be sufficient. Not being a mechanic myself, I am under the impression that far too many 337s are done unnecessarily for MINOR alterations.

Post Thanks / Like

I positioned mine just behind the front seats in the middle of the floor, I can easy reach it with no problem. Plus not being in the front of the C0-Pilot seat it doesn't get kicked around. When I have the back loaded with stuff I just relocate the the F.E. somewhere with my gear.

PeterL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who replied.

We got the airplane back home earlier today so I will take a look at both the rear floor and under the right seat to see what looks like the best solution. Hope to never need it, but would rather have one available, than wishing I had put one aboard.

Thanks Again!
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is under the left seat attached to the front cross tubes. It is a small one-hand extinguisher the size of a 16oz beer can. I can grab it from between my legs while flying. It was jammed against the battery box under the right seat.