Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguisher - Where to put it?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of where I have mine in the Clipper. I'm not sure how it compare's with the interior of the Pacer, but it's a nice location to grab while in the left seat or on your way out. It's a Halon extinguisher. I can only partially agree with the earlier statement about avoiding dry chemical extinguishers like the plague. I agree they can be destructive, but sometimes they are also necessary.

I was parked at Willows airport (WLW) a couple of years ago in the c-180 when a rental DA-40 landed and parked right next to us with a left main gear fire from a stuck brake. They didn't know it was on fire as they were exiting the aircraft and I was running across the apron yelling "hey, you're plane's on fire!". I asked for his extinguisher but he didn't know where it was. I really didn't want to use our Halon extinguisher because I knew it wouldn't put out the fire in the wind, and they are expensive little things, but it was obviously the right thing to do. By the time I got the extinguisher out the pilot had pushed the airplane forward away from ours and the flames were starting to warp the underside of the wing. The Halon kept the flames at bay but it continued to reignite until someone ran out of the cafe' with a dry chem which finally did the trick. Water would have been better, but dry chem was all we had.

And if you have a flowing fuel fire, dry chem is really the only thing that will work. Halon is nice inside an enclosed cowling where the wind will not blow it away as quickly and it gives the hot parts an oportunity to cool down.

Wayne

(By the way, Later on I was able to contact the FBO who owned the plane and they were greatful enough to replace my extinguisher!)

clipper extinguisher (2).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

So what type would y'all get- halon or Dry Chem

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Inside the cockpit--halon every time!

Post Thanks / Like

...another vote for Halon.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinoin as a army aviation safety offficer for the last 30 years, most fire extinguishers in ACFT are used for personnel use, not to put out a ACFT fire. Dry chemicals are corrosive and hard on electronics and metal but a shot of halon in the face could easily be fatal.

Post Thanks / Like

Hardly a valid point--a burst of dry powder in the face will have a similar effect, except that you could expect to slowly choke on the dust, and be unable to see to get help, or fly the aircraft, more to the point!
    Over my last 40 years in the airline industry, the standard has been water extinguishers for use on furnishings, paper, blankets etc, and something else for the rest.
    That something else has been CO2 and BCF/halon types. The cargo areas and engines use 'halon' types, also--- never dry powder.
    All those types generate a problem when used in a confined area, they can cause asphyxiation, sometimes even poisoning from toxic fumes (the older CB -chlorobromomethane- type could produce phosgene if I remember my chemistry-that was used on the battlefield in WW1!).
    The 'oddball' 747 Combi had a cargo compartment on the main deck separated from the passengers by a fire proof bulkhead. The fire fighting method on that was 3 large dry powder types, and the second officer with full face mask on, to fight the fire. The flight engineer would set up the ventilation to try to vent the dust overboard.
    With all types, ventilation for the 'crew' is a vital part of the exercise, because what is used to kill a fire, can just as easily kill you!
    The idea is that the fire extinguisher is there for in flight use to hold everything at bay while you stick the aircraft on the ground, get out and run to the nearest phone box to call your insurance agent!

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion there is no question that Halon is the safest option available for use inside an aircraft. Dry chemical is extremely corrosive and creates clouds of billowing, choking dust. Excessive use of ANY fire extinguishing agent, including halon, in a small confined space can be hazardous or fatal. I personally would not carry any other type of currently available extinguisher in my aircraft. I recall demonstrations of halon back around 1980 showing a woman in a closed phone booth discharging a halon extinguisher and deeply inhaling to exhibit its safety.

http://www.h3raviation.com/support_faq.htm
    Last edited by BrettL; 01-03-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I think that about sums it up. Thanks.