Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguisher - Where to put it?

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the msds for halon versus dry chemicals and you see why we pulled halon out of our combat vehicles in Iraq. We
    Also got rid of them in our living quarters, in one month alone we had 165 electrical fires at our camp.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    been looking locally for a fire extinguisher to replace the dry chem one i have now. asked at Acklands Grainger and to my surprise Halon has been banned in Canada due to "enviromental reasons". he said that it didn't matter if a fire extinguisher killed us but can't having it harming the enviroment.........

some government employee justifying his existance?

mumble mumble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Look at the msds for halon versus dry chemicals and you see why we pulled halon out of our combat vehicles in Iraq. We
    Also got rid of them in our living quarters, in one month alone we had 165 electrical fires at our camp.
    Agreed. However, I don't think there is an argument wether Halon is bad for you or not, but wether it's the best tool for the job. Kind of like the best of all evils. If you have an inflight fire and do nothing, then the byproducts of combustion from burning wire insulation, plastics, oils, etc. are as bad as it gets and you'll likely crash as a result of the incident. If you use dry chem, then you have now contaminated a confined space and you can't breathe or see and you'll likely crash. If you use Halon (or its current replacement Halotron), then there is a chance that you can put the fire out and you might survive.

IMHO, Halon is a poor choice for a living quarters environment. The common practice (and fire code) calls for a standard ABC extinguisher (dry chem) inside buildings. They've been proven effective with ordinary combustible fires inside buildings when you discharge them on your way out!!

FWIW

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Hi all
    been looking locally for a fire extinguisher to replace the dry chem one i have now. asked at Acklands Grainger and to my surprise Halon has been banned in Canada due to "enviromental reasons". he said that it didn't matter if a fire extinguisher killed us but can't having it harming the enviroment.........

some government employee justifying his existance?

mumble mumble
    My understanding is that it's no longer legal to produce here in the USA either. You can sell it, but not produce it, so all of the Halon extinguishers today are from pre-existing supplies or reclamed extinguishers. That's why it's like gold!! That's also why Halotron was created and is being produced as a replacement for Halon 1211.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

We did a 337 that put a Beech 1900 330lbs of pressure, halon fire bottle with 2 squibs, one into the engine compartment, the other into the area between the baffles and the firewall. We took the selector switch, as well as the fire light that shuts off the fuel and arms the system and placed it on top of the instrument panel. The fire bottle itself is attached to the engine mount on the right side of the airplane. Running the detector line was a pain, but wow, what a system! Now the only hassle is checking the pressure before flight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire extinguisher - Where to put it?

Fire extinguisher....has anyone mounted the halon extinguisher above the co-pilots right knee on the side panel? If I put it there will need to fab a couple 4" long brackets welded to the upper tube.
    Mark M.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by mmoyle; 11-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire Extinguisher

I have a 1959 PA-22/20-160 and I want to put a fire extinguisher in the cockpit.
    Do I need an STC for that? If so, is there one available?
    What size and type of fire extinguisher?
    How and where is the best place to mount it?
    Any other advice, tips, suggestions, or recommendations regarding a fire extinguisher in the cockpit?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire Extinguisher

You don’t need an STC. Best practice is to mount it within reach of the pilot. Most I’ve seen are mounted on the floorboard in front of the copilot seat.

The little halon extinguishers sold by most aircraft supply companies will suffice.
    Last edited by JPerkins; 12-20-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fire Extinguisher

I'll try to get a pic later... My A&P mounted mine on the seat frame, so I can just reach down between my legs. It's a small halon extinguisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fire Extinguisher

I'm no expert but Halon Extinguisher=yes, ABC Extinguisher=NO NO NO! They might be worse than the actual fire inside the cockpit.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb