Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STC'ed alternate exhaust systems

Post Thanks / Like

Default STC'ed alternate exhaust systems

Guys,
    Is there such a thing like a 4-into-1 exhaust system that is legal to use in our short wingers? My co-pilot complains of searing hot rudder pedals during the summer.
    Indeed, the muffler - at least in my plane - is about 1/2" from the firewall.
    Would gladly dispense with the muffler and cabin heat but keep the hot air to carb.
    Thanks,
    Miguel Azevedo
    PA22/20
    N8714D-150

Post Thanks / Like

The Sutton exhaust moves the whole exhaust system forward and away from the firewall....but it still requires field approval.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The Sutton exhaust does not fit aTri-pacer due to the nose gear. Is there a similar system for a tripacer? i looked into Leading Edge but thiers is twice the cost of Sutton's.

Post Thanks / Like

Actualy the Leading Egde Exhaust cost about the same as a new standard Pa-22 or 20 exhuast.
    I put one in my plane and really like it. theirs more room between the exhuast and the fire wall(1-2")
    It gives me alot more hot air for heating than the original. and I dont have the hot feet in the summer problem ether.
    Its supposed to give you 10-13 more ponys up front as well, more if its the 150 hp 320.
    I cant say enough good about it, When I was looking for a new exhuast most people I talked to that had the leading edge exhuast were the same.
    That is what convinced me to buy it. No regrets.
    Also it doesnt rap around the front of the engine so the alt./gen. and starter stays cooler
    Last edited by Throttle Pusher; 12-14-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Leading Edge as well. I'm really pleased with it, but I have some questions regarding the "continuing airworthiness" instructions, that derive from the system initially being designed for the PA-18, that have not been resolved by the Leading Edge folks.
    I do feel like I'm getting the extra HP and the clearance from the firewall and maintainability are great and the absence of the old muffler AD's really help at Annual time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throttle Pusher View Post
    Actualy the Leading Egde Exhaust cost about the same as a new standard Pa-22 or 20 exhuast.
    I put one in my plane and really like it. theirs more room between the exhuast and the fire wall(1-2")
    It gives me alot more hot air for heating than the original. and I dont have the hot feet in the summer problem ether.
    Its supposed to give you 10-13 more ponys up front as well, more if its the 150 hp 320.
    I cant say enough good about it, When I was looking for a new exhuast most people I talked to that had the leading edge exhuast were the same.
    That is what convinced me to buy it. No regrets.
    Also it doesnt rap around the front of the engine so the alt./gen. and starter stays cooler
    I'm considering the Leading Egde Exhaust because my muffler is over 1000 hours which requires a 50 hour inspection. For me that's about every 5-6 months
    Do you remember what the cost was? Since it's STC'd what's required for documentation? A 337?

Quote Originally Posted by spenav8 View Post
    I have the Leading Edge as well. I'm really pleased with it, but I have some questions regarding the "continuing airworthiness" instructions, that derive from the system initially being designed for the PA-18, that have not been resolved by the Leading Edge folks.
    I do feel like I'm getting the extra HP and the clearance from the firewall and maintainability are great and the absence of the old muffler AD's really help at Annual time.
    Did you get your questions answered about the "continuing airworthiness"?

Post Thanks / Like

av8ing,
    On the web site the cost listed for the Leading Edge Exhaust is $3795. But there is one thing I noticed. The folks there are open to group buys. On one of their current promotions if they sold 5 PA-18 systems they drop $500 from the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplunkt View Post
    av8ing,
    $3795. But there is one thing I noticed. The folks there are open to group buys. On one of their current promotions if they sold 5 PA-18 systems they drop $500 from the price.
    ???? Any interest?

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of interest - not enough dollars!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, same here. I have a whole lot more interest than $$$.