Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-16 0-320 install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 0-320 install

Clipper driver just finishing installing 0-320, going to be weighing soon, any one know what empty weight of a light one should be? Also how they fly with the 0-320 I have too wing tanks and no nose tank.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been quite a few years but but I recall a very short take-off & could hit about 140 mph IAS as well.

Keep in mind Vne IAS is 140 mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1050 lbs. or less would be good I would think. I like the 58" pitched prop, climbs great and you aren't bumping the yellow arc all the time, 120-125 mph at 2400 rpm. You won't be able to get the smile off your face once you have flown it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine with the O-235 and a header tank was 1003lbs. I'm curious too how much weight the O-320 adds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Engine weighs more but that can be offset by using light weight engine accessories however the prop weighs more as well. The type certificate data sheets have the weights.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 1041 lbs. with light weight starter, alternator and J-16 Hawker Battery but it has wheel pants, temper foam seats and leather upholstery which add weight.
    The O-320 makes a real airplane out of a nice one. Hang on when you make your first take-off. The biggest wt. increase came from the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first bought the Clipper and signed on to this site I had questions about uprading the engine at that time. I was encouraged to get the plane back together and fly it as it was and I'm super glad I did. With the climb prop its performance has far exceded my expectations. I can land, stop and be off the ground again in less than 1200 feet on a hard surface when I'm alone using short/soft field technique. Throw in a little head wind and it's really pretty amazing. That being said, if I ever reach TBO on the engine I'll have a decision to make and 150hp would be awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 108pc View Post
    When I first bought the Clipper and signed on to this site I had questions about uprading the engine at that time. I was encouraged to get the plane back together and fly it as it was and I'm super glad I did. With the climb prop its performance has far exceded my expectations. I can land, stop and be off the ground again in less than 1200 feet on a hard surface when I'm alone using short/soft field technique. Throw in a little head wind and it's really pretty amazing. That being said, if I ever reach TBO on the engine I'll have a decision to make and 150hp would be awesome!
    I flew my Clipper for many years with the 108 in it. It was/is a great airplane with that engine. The only limitation I had was getting above the Cu. on hot day when I gad to get above 7500' msl. I did what you propose-when the 108 got tired I replaced it with the 150. I don't believe it cost me any more then it would have to over haul the 108. I bought a basket case O-320(literally in several cardboard boxes) and rebuilt the O-320. With O-235 rings costing $1000 + that adds a lot to the rebuild cost of the O-235.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advise and information, I fly at of a 1300 ft farm strip the 0-235 is fine on a cool day with a light load, but a growing family with two kids taking an interst in flying I wanted better T/O, climb and a little more speed. I found a low time 0-320 with all light weight accessories, my plane all ready had the two wing tanks and with Stewart's STC it is a easy mod. When I weighted the two dressed engines the 0-320 was lighter by two pounds due to lightweight accessories I think. I had a wood prop before so the new Sensinich 74x58 was 24 pounds more. The logs don't indicate that this plane has been weighted before so I am curious what I does weight and what others weight. I have ran it and taxied it very impressive power I was surprised a could pick up the tail a little with full power and brakes locked. I can't wait to finish up project and get it in the air. Again thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

I weighed my Clipper just before we pulled the O-235 and then just after we installed the O-320. The difference in weight was 37 lbs. heavier for the O-320 installation.
    Most of that was prop and oil cooler.